Shifting jams after running 30 mins

mayonnaiseslacks

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Apologies if there's a thread for this already, I'm very new to this (first bike) and couldn't seem to find anything related to the issue I'm having.

I've got a 1981 XS400 and it's been running great since I bought it 6 months ago. Recently though after the bike's been running for about 20-30 minutes the shifting gets really sticky and jams up mostly between 1st-2nd and sometimes 3rd, like it takes my whole body to shift up to 2nd and sometimes I have to give the shift lever a couple of tries before it actually shifts.

It's odd because if it's my first ride of the day things seem to be fine and shift without trouble for a little while. But after the 30 minute mark the shifting difficulty arises and then doesn't go away until I've let the bike sit for a couple of hours. Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on what might be causing this? I bought this bike to learn how to tinker so I'd like to try and DIY a fix if I can but if it's a technically difficult I may have to find a professional.

What brand oil are you using and type?

My bike will almost do the same thing. Its either low oil, or the oil you are using isnt the right kind.. I use a very popular oil, Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil. Most of the time, its all the automotive place has so I buy it. This brand of oil, for whatever reason, Gives me hard shifts and weird clutch action after putting a couple hundred miles on it. Other users on here have no issues with the oil.

My bike seems to perform best with Castrol GO 4T 20w50 motorcycle oil and thats what I try to purchase.

I wouldnt use any oil additives either.

I have the valvoline 20 50 in one and the last one went with rotella T4 and have had no issues.

Ahh, I hate to admit it but I haven't changed the oil since I acquired the bike nearly 6 months ago. I figured I've only put a couple hundred miles on it and the oil levels looked fine so I could get away with it a little longer. I'll change asap and let you know if that fixes. Thanks everybody!

Change the filter too. You can buy multiples on EBay at a good price. Pick up a couple O-rings for the bolt and the housing. You should take the little trap door off the bottom of the engine too. You should get the gasket for this also.. This trap door is where all the big metal particles go and stay there.

I think its recommended that you change the filter every 2 oil changes, and replace the gaskets every time. Myself, I change the oil filter every 2 changes and skip out on the gaskets as long as the dont leak at all. I do have all the seals for when I need them, sometimes they do tear and break.

The oil housing bolt has to be torqued to a certain spec also. If you over tighten it you can crack the housing and ruin seals.

Back