Should I buy this bike?

maxholland1

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting this XS400 for $250. The engine was seized, but it has been seized by a bike mechanic. I am willing to put around $400-$600 into making it run smoothly. I have attached pictures. Any advice, any perspective?

I have a friend who is willing to walk me through the labor, so I can do it myself.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 278
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 301
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 301
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 288
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 284
  • photo 1(1).jpg
    photo 1(1).jpg
    263 KB · Views: 296
  • photo 2(1).jpg
    photo 2(1).jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 282
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 323
  • photo 4(1).jpg
    photo 4(1).jpg
    243 KB · Views: 270
  • photo 5(1).jpg
    photo 5(1).jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 296
You should be able to find something with a good engine for that money.

If you end up needing a new engine your entire budget will be blown and you'll still have a heep.

For $850 you should be able to get a mostly complete w/title and running xs400:) Around me they are getting hard to find w/title so if it has a title the frame is worth $150:)

The price of the bike seems to be a regional difference.
2 questions:
1: how can I see if the engine is blown before i buy it?
2: how much money would need to go into it, if the engine is OK?

Thanks

Posted via Mobile

You should be able to get a bike with an engine that at least turns over and has good compression.
The bike your looking at you said the engine siezed the question would be why?Is just from sitting and it rusted or did the previous owner run it out of oil.In that case your going to spend more than what the its worth trying to fix it.Is the bike a wiring nightmare or is it good and intact?what about other parts that might be missing.Id offer the guy at most $150.If hes desperate enough to sell he`ll jump all over that offer.

It is a lot easier and cheaper to find a good running engine than to rebuild a locked up one. If that bikes has a good title get it for as cheap as you can, its a good start to has a titled bike:wink2:

Max did mention something that most of us havent touched base on,Regional difference.I live in an area where the economy is depressed hardly any good jobs.50% or better of the people in this city are poor they sell things for cheap cause of what the buyers market is.
Max is from Atlanta I havent looked but the cost of bikes could be alot different than where the rest of us live.Just a thought.:)

In my limited experience motorcycles, even crap ones, are more expensive in the south. Atlanta prob has 300 good riding days a year. Completely dismantled bikes will go for more that $150 around here. I paid $700 for my bike that barely ran, has crappy PO work on it but was mostly complete, w/title.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. restoration with mostly OEM parts will likely run you more than your budget. Mostly cosmetic upgrades can be pretty cheap but I see you will need exhaust, headlight and seat at a glance and that would be $250-300 as a guess.

Seems like around here people are fully sheet! and rip you off. I paid more for mine but no title. Not too worried since I can get it titled when I move to the P-NW

Back