should I go to MMI or not

codyxs400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have always liked dirtbikes and motorcycles and am interested in furthering my education i have looked into MMI and wyotech i sighned up to go to the pheonix location for MMI i was wondering if any one had any input

Talk to people who have gone. I've heard a lot of negative, but that was all second hand info from those who went...

From my own experience with going to a technical/vocational college, the best way to "further" your experience and education is find a shop and become an apprentice. If you can't find one that accepts apprentices, get a job there and become friends with the mechanics.

Another option is self education. Buy a junker or two, work on them yourself and study/research as much as you can. This takes more drive, but personally, I find it more rewarding.

As for MMI, I don't have any experience with them. I've looked into the motorcycle mechanics program as well, but have read very, VERY mixed reviews. Something to keep in mind, their goal is to give you BASIC knowledge for ENTRY LEVEL positions. In other words, you'll have minimal education for a job you could probably get without going. This isn't to deter you from going, just my own research and experience with these types of schools.

Find out what is required to become a licensed motorcycle mechanic in your area. Around here it is an apprenticeship and trade school. The courses offered by places like MMI are NOT recognized or approved.

Like Maxim-umm suggested, I'd also suggest getting a job working in a shop to see if it is what you are really interested in. There is a big difference between doing it for your own needs/satisfaction and being told what to do for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Dave
(a trained Automotive Technician, and Aircraft Maintenance Technician, who hated both industries and now is a computer consultant)

Licensing requirements are a great point Dave :thumbsup: I went to school for Baking and Pastries, worked in multiple bakeries after school and had to "forget" everything I learned in school. :banghead: I got lucky, though and in my final year it was recognized as an accredited program.

A lot depends on the bikes you plan on working on. Most of the courses teach you about new bikes, not much on bikes much over 10 years old.
If you can afford MMI then go for it, but don't expect to learn much about old bikes.
Leo

Back