Should I remove more links from this chain?

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
1978 2e

I just installed new front and rear sprockets: 16, 37.

I accidentally bought a 530 x 102 chain, so it was obviously too long since 530 x 100 is stock.

I removed one outer and one inner link, so the chain should now be 100 links, but when I put the chain on it still appears to be slightly long. The photo shows the chain adjuster nearly maxed out just to get the correct free play in the chain and will leave little room for future adjustment.

Is this normal or should I remove another pair of links? I am not sure if removing another pair will be too much. If I take too much off I will need to order a new chain.

:shrug:

Attachments

• chainxs400.jpg
    chainxs400.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 129
It's gonna stretch in my experience. I got a new chain, a 100 and found the PO (older bro) had a 103 on there. It was at click 2 when it was new and it's stretched a lot in one year. So I'd err on the side of a 99 or 100. It's gonna stretch!

Ive always had to take links off my chains on all my bikes when fitting, I just judge it and take them off till im happy with the lenth and how its tensioning up when fitted. Sounds like you need to take at least another pair off.

edit: or if you can tension it up ok now just leave it and if the chain streches over time just take a few off later down the track if you find you cant get the correct tension?

BC are those sprokets with 1 more tooth more or less?Also how much did they set you back.I know I have excess play in my chain but I have tried tightening up the tensioner to see if it will tighten it up yet.My rear sproket does looks like it has alot of wear though.

edit: or if you can tension it up ok now just leave it and if the chain streches over time just take a few off later down the track if you find you cant get the correct tension?

Yes, I was thinking about this; just run it as-is until I can no longer get the proper tension. It's still too early to ride here, so I was also considering doing the work now while I have plenty of free days.

Edit:

I just counted the links on the old chain; there were 98.

I also checked the tension by measuring (was eyeballing it initially); it was at 50 mm of free play when that above photo was taken. It is supposed to be 20 mm, so it needs to slide back even more! I am definitely taking off another pair of links.

BC are those sprokets with 1 more tooth more or less?Also how much did they set you back.

16 front 37 rear is stock for my 1978 2e.

I bought the sprockets from bikebandit; I think it was something like $43 for the pair; $14 for the front and $29 for the rear.

Last edited:
The results of removing 2 more links for a total of 98 is shown in the photo. The chain is adjusted to spec.

Attachments

• 98links.jpg
    98links.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 102
Back