Simplified wiring harness question about regulator

Silverkrown

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally getting around to wiring this 1982 XS400 and created a simplified wiring harness.
I removed everything that isn't required ie, no blinkers, gauges, speedometer.
I'm using a three position key switch that is pictured in the diagram. The one thing I can't seem to figure out it the green and brown wire from the regulator. Not sure where they
should fit in to the wiring diagram. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• WiringDiagramXS400Cafe.jpg
    WiringDiagramXS400Cafe.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 3,004
goes to the field coil on the alternator

Thanks for the help drewpy. I found the plug that connects the regulator wires to the brush assembly plug. The light blue wire (Neutral indicator) and black red wire (oil pressure switch won't be used the way I am wiring it. The only wire I have left that I'm not sure what it should connect to is the brown wire from the regulator. Looking at this wiring diagram:

http://www.xs400.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3857&d=1290042222

The brown wire goes all over the diagram and I'm not sure what it should connect to in my wiring diagram. I updated mine to reflect the black and green from regulator

Attachments

171 KB · Views: 813
I'm thinking it should be connected to the back of my three way switch but I'm not sure where as it goes to the main switch in the wiring diagram.

After looking at the plug that connects to the brush assembly it only has Light blue, brown, green and black/red not a solid black wire. I think the black wire is a ground and the green and brown go to the brush assemblies. Although this differs from the wiring diagram I am looking at. I think the brown wire also needs to connect somewhere on the switch. This wiring diagram for a 650 looks closer to how mine is.

http://www.xs650.com/images/main/xs650wiring.jpg

Thanks for any help on what else the brown wire from the regulator should be connected to. I also update my wiring diagram.

Attachments

171.7 KB · Views: 1,383
In Minnesota. You are only required to have a headlight and taillight by law and technically a horn although I don't usually run a horn on my bikes.

the brown wire will be a switched feed.

if you think about it, you need juice to power the field coil and ATM theres no power going to the regulator.

make sure its switched or you will drain the battery

the brown wire will be a switched feed.

if you think about it, you need juice to power the field coil and ATM theres no power going to the regulator.

make sure its switched or you will drain the battery

Thanks so much for the help drewpy. I think (hopefully) I am understanding what you
are saying. I changed the brown wire to split and connect to the ignition pole on the switch which should supply power to the regulator? I'm horrible at electrical and I'm use to the reg/rec being one unit not the older separate ones. Let me know if you think the updated wiring diagram looks correct. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

126.3 KB · Views: 3,201
I don't think its right, but looking at the 650 wiring, you have brushes and not a field coil?

Thats what I am thinking because the black from the regulator can't plug into the motor. I attached a couple pics chowing the regulator which has the green,brown and black wires and the plug that connects to the motor plug. you can see it has green, brown black/red and blue but not a solid black.

The wiring diagram Pork Chop posted looks like how mine is setup. Just not sure if the brown should go to the ignition post or battery post on the three way switch.

The green and brown wires in both pictures were connected originally. I cut them by accident when disassembling the harness.

Attachments

• XS400Regulator.JPG
    XS400Regulator.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 406
  • XS400wiringPlug.jpg
    XS400wiringPlug.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 435
Back