Single fuse wiring harness?

deadxramones

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I found a trimmed down schematic for an 81 and I've followed it making my own slight modifications to fit what I need and I'm using a stock key ignition but otherwise I stuck to it.my question is that there is only one fuse on the main power wire can I run it like that? I understand if it pops nothing will work but do I run the risk of frying stuff or if something grounds out anywhere will it still pop and still save my harness? My gut says no but I like less bulk by not routing to fuse block . I've also seen single fuse harnesses sold but custom shops so it has me wondering. I'm not a eletrcal guru so any help is awesome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-12-13-02-59-58.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-13-02-59-58.png
    326.8 KB · Views: 434
deadxramones, I'm sure there are others with different opinions but I wouldn't go with just one fuse. It looks like 30 amps which is what you need on the main but it isn't going to save the small wires in case of a short. It will burn them until it burns a wire into and red hot 14 gauge wires are not something you want under the gas tank!

I thought the main was a 20amp, no?
I'm only commenting because I'm installing a new fuse box in mine and in the mess of wiring I found a thirty amp on my main, a 10 on the headlights and the other two were just wired straight with no fuse.
When i checked the manual it mention a 20 on the main and 10 for the other 3 unless I'm missing something.

I just double checked and in the Haynes manual under "fuse: location and replacement" it says 20amp main and the other three are 10.
I checked the Yamaha service manual but couldn't find those values.
The fact that you guys are saying 30 and that 30 is what I found in my bike make me wonder if the Haynes manual is mistaken.

Stock should be 20 main and 10amp for the others. Running a higher amp or no fuse at all can destroy components in the bike or even cause a fire.

image.jpeg
Dealing with sketchy wiring was the first project I took on with mine.
The last thing I need is shorting.
It's getting better. Still have a bunch of wires I want to shorten and clean up.
Here's my new little fuse box.

What I was looking at was the diagram in the initial post and that's what I was referring to. It looks like it shows a 30 amp breaker to me. But of course you are correct, the main is a 20 amp in original wiring.

I have a similar fuse box under the seat on my bike. It took several hours to sort out all the wires and change the ends but in the end it was well worth it. Hang in there, you'll be happy when it's all done!

I have converted my fuse box to a car type "Blade fuse" type. I found the old fuse box, in very poor condition,(my headlight would go off after going over a slight bump in the road! Very dangerous if it happens at night!) It turned out that the contact's of the bullet fuse, had snapped in half, so was only making contact, on half of the usual surface! Therefore I decided to convert all of the fuse box, to blade fuses. The whole job only took an hour, so it is simple enough for any owner to do with ease!
I hope this has been of help to other's who are having difficulty, with their fuse boxes?

Merlin

Back