Small amount of smoke coming from right exhaust after rebuild?

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just want to ask what you guys think about this. I fired up my bike today and noticed a small amount of white smoke coming from R/H exhaust only. When idling you can see it but when riding along dont really notice it (probably cause the smoke isnt thick enough to leave a trail). I pulled the spark plug to have a look and shone a torch in the cylinder to see if it is oil but the plug is dry and I cant see any signs of oil in the chamber. The plug has a black dry sooty appearance. Im guessing the R/H cyclinder is running rich but just wanna see what you guys think?

The engine has been fully rebuilt and new valve stem seals installed etc. The carbs have also just been cleaned right out, I did notice the gasket on the R/H float bowl weeping a little bit. The bike is running really really good. I can take it up to redline and theres NO flat spots or hesitations anywhere. Its running GREAT! Just not sure why there smoke from the R/H cyclinder at idle?

cheers guys!

It is probably steam from the rich mixture. Oil smoke would linger. Check the float height, a high fuel level would cause the mixture to be richer and the gasket to weep if it is less than perfect.

Or maybe the coolant level is too high? ;)

Thanks mate! Maybe the needle is sticking? Ill try spraying some more carb cleaner in there see if that helps.

These bikes have COOLANT!!!! Holy shit mines missing the whole radiator then!! Seems to run alright without it:)

Have you balanced the carbs? Mine used to smoke a little more out of one side until I did a proper balance!

If everything else seems fine I would be hesitant to go tearing too far into the bike. If it's running well and you have done all of the basic settings correctly I'd just deal with the extra smoke.

Hey bc hows things mate, i didnt balance them yet i think ill have to do that, is it tricky? (ive never done it)

Ahhh now I know sorry I thought you meant ajusting the arm somehow so both carbs are pulled up the same or something. I really havent done any carb work before so excuse my noobish skills:laugh: I actually have a proper mercury manometre I bought years ago to tune my 600, it has 4 metres but you can use it for twins too just use 2 of the metres. I never got round to using it cause the cbr seems to always run great, I figure why mess with it when its running good? Anyway thanks bro, my next port of call is the manometre I think:thumbsup:

Even better! The carbs have a way of sneaking out of synch over time. You should check it every year when you get a chance.

You might see a big improvement once you're done.

Back