small battery for button start

chrispunk

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey, so I'm after a smaller battery i can fit on soho but still keep the button start. any one had any luck with this? i found a few options and am kind of leaning toward this http://shoraipower.com/lfx14l2-bs12-p78 i think it should be fine(i could be wrong though)

what are peoples thoughts?

thanks

That will work. You need around 100-120 cranking amps and a 12ah for a e-start. They do make small batteries that will do it but the price is quite high like the one you posted.

Ah I thought I needed 14ah, I might be able to save a few quid then.

Probably a stupid question but does the physical size of the battery matter apart from it fitting the stock battery box? Everywhere always suggests massive batteries for the xs400.

The physical size don't matter. It's the cranking amps and the capacity of the battery. Most battery sellers will ask for the cc's of the bike to match it up.

It isn't the size, it's the quality and how it performs. :wink2:

Be careful with the ratings used with LiFePO4 batteries. The manufacturers tend to offer "Pb equivalent" numbers, that their marketing department pulls out of dark places. These numbers are very misleading and should be ignored. Rather, look at the actual rating of the battery. Also be aware of the battery's performance at various temperatures. Most light weight batteries don't perform well once the temp approaches freezing, especially if undersized.

I run that same exact battery in a couple race bikes, a RC51 and a GSXR 1000 drag bike. Starts both with ease, more than enough battery for the XS.....

however....

With the charging systems on these bikes not being constant it could damage the battery. I was going to run one on my new build since I am set up with the Shorai charger and I really like them. However I was worried about being away from home and the battery going kaput because of overcharging. I was also worried about it possibly damaging the stator, reg or rec when said failure happens, thus I went LA.

It is my understanding that if you go with a solid state regulator/rectifier it will cure any charging anomiles. For me it didn't make sense to spend another $60 when my charging system is currently working fine

Yeah I've got an rr38 in the post.

A side note the starter doesn't seem to turn well if my voltage is much below 13. Is that normal I coukd there be something up with my starter motor?

I have used Antigravity and Ballisitic. I prefer the Shorai. Not that any of them really were bad, I just like the Shorai.

No, as previously mentioned I do not have a upgraded reg/rec combo, thus I don't want to ruin the battery with the fluxuations in the charging system. What I have used them on

Ironhead chopper kick only- Ballistic
Ironhead chopper e start- Antigravity
RC 51 street/LSR bike - Shorai
GSXR drag bike- Shorai
YZ250 LSR bike (needed battery to power nitrous system and gauges) - Shorai

The Antigravity didn't want to hold a charge for whatever reason, even disconnected. If the battery sat for a month or more it would be dead. Speaking of which I have a new Antigravity charger that I used 2 or 3 times I would sell pretty cheap if anyone is looking for one

Temperature could be the key. If it is warm and the bike usually starts easy, there likely will be no problems.
I fired my XS 400 DOHC last Saturday when it was minus 6. It took a few cranks. The top end rattled for a moment, and the tach cable whined for a long time.
Now back up to above freezing Deep Purple is happy again. He also has a new battery.

My XS11 with a battery on the way out, as in 12.25 volts, or 50% flat, went urg ugg. It would have fired if it was warmer. Yami will be getting a new battery.

Unkle Crusty*

Back