SOHC vs DOHC for styling, what do you prefer?

What do prefer styling wise, SOHC or DOHC models?

• DOHC

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • SOHC

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • Niether

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Depends how fat the chick is sitting on the passenger seat and if the grabrails support her weight

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I might make a poll for fun, what do you prefer styling wise...SOHC models or DOHC models?

For my taste its 100% sohc, I really dont like the direction they went with the styling on the dohc models. Its like the bike lost all of its soul :laugh: But thats just for my taste and taste is subjective, I have seen great cafe/bobber builds done here with the dohc models that made them look heaps better. But my vote is definatly for sohc, lol.

I would suggest an update - the DOHC had two very different styles - the Maxim (fake Harley cruiser) and the Seca (still looks awesome naked standard style). Even though I have a Maxim, I love the Seca...

I would suggest an update - the DOHC had two very different styles - the Maxim (fake Harley cruiser) and the Seca (still looks awesome naked standard style). Even though I have a Maxim, I love the Seca...

I agree guys ,

The Seca style is a beautiful bike , but to me the 400 Maxim is one of the ugliest bikes ever created . Hideous bodywork .

I can say that because I have a 1982 Maxim 12E DOHC myself . I like the concept and the motor but the styling turns me off . I bought it cheap and going to do some changes . I'm not certain which way to go with it ... cafe probably , but looking for ideas about the tank . I wish I could find a Seca tank and plastic , I'd just change it out and be very happy , but they are scarce .

Bob

... but to me the 400 Maxim is one of the ugliest bikes ever created. Hideous bodywork...
Them's fightin' words! :boxing:
I voted for the sohc heritage special myself.
I don't care much for how the Maxim looks sitting there empty. But, you should see how it looks with me on it, it takes on a completely different "air". :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Joe Cool - not.JPG
    Joe Cool - not.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 588
I like the Seca, nice looking bike. My first love, however, is the '79 and before SOHC. After '79, the 16" pseudo-cruiser look (16" rear wheel, huge stepped seat, and higher rise bars) leaves my cold.

Lou , I knew if I said that I would get some response :) . LOL no offense intended . I own one of them , and like it except for the chopper look . When you are riding it though ... they are a sweet bike !

I worked for a Kawasaki shop many years ago and one day I mentioned to the boss what an ugly POS one of the new KAWI's was , and he said " Bob there's an ass for every seat and I'll sell every one of those bikes " :D He did too .

I'm kind of new to Yamaha's so will withhold my vote .... but I will say the older SOHC bikes lend themselves to changes a lot easier , from mild to wild . They are a very good looking machine even just stock . They look like what a motorcycle is supposed to look like :shrug:

CB

Lou , I knew if I said that I would get some response :) . LOL no offense intended . I own one of them , and like it ... they are a sweet bike ! .... They look like what a motorcycle is supposed to look like :shrug: CB
Non taken :D , but watch it, we may have you surrounded. I don't want to have to ask DanMach to head up there from Phoenix on his MAXIM to straighten you out. :wink2:

I love riding it and, per B-W, an '83 dohc that doesn't run is "un-possible".

Still waiting to vote until I can vote for the Seca...

And it is un-possible for a DOHC engine to stop running. Unless you forget to adjust the valve shims, that is...

Yeah I didnt think of the difference between seca and maxim bentwrench my bad, but if I add that now the votes will all go back to 0. I guess its also based on the look of DOHC or SOHC motor itself too, not just the bodywork:shrug:

I think as a build platform the SOHC models ar far better, they can look any way the person doing the build wants them look. But imho the DOHC models always seem to be recognisable as what they used to be in theyre stock form on some level, even after being modified. I guess what I mean is a SOHC can make someone look twice and ask themselfs 'what is that bike?' (if well done), but all the DOHC builds ive seen you straight away can recognise what it was just because they are so distinct. Maybe the SOHC models are more nuetral in some way?

If he comes up here to Kingman then I'll just have to buy him a beer or two so he wont kick my arse . :yikes: LOL

OK the more I look at this thing , seems the older bike and engine is more adaptable to making whatever you want out of it , chopper , bobber or cafe it'll work and look really good . The newer motor limits it or you have to darn creative . Actually I looked for several days on the internet and still looking , trying to find what I wanted my bike to look like ..... and always kept coming back to the Seca style . It just fits the motor . That frame and the tall cylinder really make it tough to come up with something . It looks like about an inch and a half gap between the frame and the front of the tank .... I'm going to play around over the weekend and if can use this tank somehow to get a better effect . And I want to keep the monoshock intact , no hardtail stuff . My back is old .

If I had both the sidecovers and stuff I'd leave it alone and just paint it , ride it and enjoy it as is . And the seat needs recovering ( the guy gave me a new cover with it tho ) ... so see, thats why I'm deciding what to do .

One way or another I like this beast a lot .

CB

Ouch..That hurts....

I have loved that bike ever since i saw it.... But that's just me.
And me.
Forgive ClunkerBob, for he has spent the entire summer out in the desert sun - not unlike you or I getting a case of snow-blindness in Feb., and looking at the sun reflect off the bodywork of a Bombardier. :yikes:

And me.
Forgive ClunkerBob, for he has spent the entire summer out in the desert sun - not unlike you or I getting a case of snow-blindness in Feb., and looking at the sun reflect off the bodywork of a Bombardier. :yikes:

Yes.... Up north we suffer from P.M.S....
Parked Motorcycle Syndrome....

Some years the onset of the symptomes arrive quicker than others.

DOHC in a hardtailed frame.....I like both(SOHC and DOHC),but wanted something a bit different :thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
Back