Solid riser bushings??

waycoolsportster

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I got some 15" apes for the Ol' Lady's bike but really hate the feel of these damned rubber mounted risers!! Anyone know of any solid bushings available??? I know they make em for Harley's but can't seem to find em for this little Yammer!! :bike:

I've seen people pour urethane for an ultra cheap solution and you can make it as hard as you want.

$75? Esh. I mean, they're def nice, but was hoping there'd be a cheaper alternative. I know a guy with a lathe, maybe I'll ask him to reproduce something and see what he charges.

You could probably buy the plastic for ten bucks. Shouldn't take long to whip up those pieces you probably won't even have to touch the diameter just drill the hole down the middle and cut the step then part them.

I never really thought about making them. I cleaned up my rubber ones and planned on reinstalling them. But I've never driven an xs when I got mine it was a pile of parts. Does it feel that bad with the rubber? Mabey I will have to make up plastic ones for myself.

Shaun

It's only going to wobble a lot if you've got ape hangers or other long bars or if the rubber is tired. The leverage from these types of bars is far greater than stock at that distance and any play in the rubber is magnified.

Ok Bc. I'll stick with the rubber ones I guess. I have clubman bars so not really much leverage on the rubber and mine seemed to be in good shape. I have two full sets and one was cracked but the other was decent.

Charles: I know I mentioned plastic but if you wanted to do them in aluminum like the 650 guy did it wouldn't be much difference in price abit longer to machine but really not much difference in material price. You don't need to get hooked on the 6061 aluminum. Everyone seems to push that their parts are made from 6061 aluminum even though almost any other grade would do just fine. In that situation it's not an area where you need high strength material.

Shaun

I would just run them, see how it feels and then decide. On my current build I am giving some euro bars with the rubber dampers a chance. This a change over running clip-ons previously. If I don't like the setup it is easy enough to change out later.

You can add fender washers to stiffen the rubber. I think the riser bolts are about 1/2 inch, get a few washers 1/2 inch id, 1 1/2 inch od. Put them under the washers under the nuts and washers under the riser so the fender wasers slip over the riser bolts and squeeze the rubber some. Add as many as you feel you need.
Leo

anyone fix this problem ?

i was looking for some pictures and more ideas cause i have the ape wobble problem

??

Any kitchen installation shop should be able to provide a few scraps of Corian counter top that can be shaped by a dremel or roto-zip and sanded to final shape

I put my bars on today and thought I hadn't done the bolts up tight enough, thank god I found this thread...
Do you think that if you turned some solid aluminum on a lathe the bars would cop alot of vibration??

I was just going to buy a stick of polyurethane (either the correct diam or close, then machine down), cut to the right length to fill the holes. But I decided to do an inverted fork conversion instead. :)

Alum is an option too, but might be more pricey.

In honor of Halloween, I'll bring this thread back from the dead... :wink2:

Did anyone ever confirm the Hughs Handbuilt solid bushings would work on the 400?

Back