1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

some modded xs400's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drewpy, Nov 19, 2010.

1. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

2. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

found this today Rufford autojumble, nice xs250

Attached Files:

3. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Both are way over priced. Keep looking for one that has not been messed with. :wink2:

4. Requiem

Requiem XS400 Addict

Attached Files:

5. LuckyEight

LuckyEight Head-scratcher

The white one looks really nice...and rideable (except no mufflers and these overpriced huge tires). But the price is really high...

6. xschris

There are a lot of "high" people out there.

7. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave XS400 Guru Top Contributor

What is it with people? They wouldn't wear massive, "clown shoes" out in public, never mind to run to a coffee shop. Yet they insist on installing rediculous, clown sized tires on their bikes. Stupid is as stupid does...

8. xschris

Anything larger than a stock size tire hurts performance. It's just another hipster gimmick:laugh:

9. Wolfe_11B

Wolfe_11B XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I'm so glad the hipsters here in Cleveland never got into the motorcycle scene. There are a few, but not many. All the guys into old metric bikes here are straight up rockabilly, and tend to not make bikes look like monstrosities ;)

10. oslocafe

oslocafe XS400 Member

Oslo
    well, also have in mind that matching tires in stock size are not always easy to come by, the only available tiresize with decent rubber for me is 130/90-16 & 100/90-18 from the dealers that dont cost a fortune with shipping. i prefer a great grip

11. xschris

Here in the u.s. there is no excuse for it:) My local yamaha dealer can get them for about the same price as most on-line guys. I have run matched and unmatched tires before and can't tell any difference. Your rear tire will wear much faster than the front so trying to find a rear "matched" tire is a waste of tire imho. As long as they are the correct size, and the tire has a fresh date code on it your good.

12. levdir

levdir Rounded bolt brigade

13. Wolfe_11B

Wolfe_11B XS400 Guru Top Contributor

That's an oddball move...

14. xschris

The dohc motor would sure be an upgrade from the sohc one but I worry about how well it was put together.

15. levdir

levdir Rounded bolt brigade

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. The photos are too dark and fuzzy to get a good sense of it. It looks like they retained the DOHC top mounts but it's not clear if the cradle was kept, and if it wasn't I'd want to know how they reinforced the frame to compensate.

16. Sokrates

Sokrates www.xs400.net

My green Racer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  17. xschris

Nice looking bike:)

18. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

very nice,like the hydraulic clutch too :)

19. Oh yeah, that's very nice. Love the fairing & seat.

I'd like to know more about the rear sets, the hydraulic clutch and is that an electronic ignition?

20. Sokrates

Sokrates www.xs400.net

The Rear sets are original Pichler: http://xs400.net/wb/pages/technik-f...2a2.php?searchresult=1&sstring=pichler#wb_188

The electronic ignition is original Yamaha non-europe XS400 SG/G til 1980:
    http://xs400.net/wb/pages/technik-f...aha-elektronische-zuendanlage-fuer-2a24g5.php

The hydraulic clutch is an project from member gemamo from the xs400.net-Forum:
    http://forum.xs400.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=587

Complete rebuild-thread (in german) of this machine is here:
    http://forum.xs400.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=195