Southern Ontario Get Together

16VGTIDave

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Since the end of summer is approaching, and most of us should have our bikes all sorted out, it is high time for a get together! :thumbsup:

I'm going to suggest Saturday September 14th as a possible date - in an effort to accommodate those who work or go away on long weekends.

As for a location, I'd prefer avoiding the GTA. Milton, Acton, or Erin would be somewhat central to most of us, within a reasonable distance from those further away, offer some nice roads to ride if we want to go for a cruise, and restaurants to choose from for socializing.

Who's interested?

I could try and schedule to be down off the Peninsula for that day if we can get a quorum. One additional location worthy of consideration is a restaurant in Rockwood (Hwy #7).
A chapter of the CVMG regularly has brunch there and highly recommends it.

I would be interested in that, however that's my birthday, and I intend to drink beer all day..

OMG!!!! I am in.... ley me know where we meet and what time...
I don't even really care where we go. I do know a ton of places if you get stuck on location.

@gtg2034 - why not come out and we can all celebrate by riding? There will be plenty of time to drink later! ;)
@uglyduckling - We should get together some time, I'm close to you!

As for a meeting place, there is a nice coffee shop in Belfountian that is a popular place for those on 2 wheels. And I'm sure we could figure out a route from there through the Forks of the Credit area and up to Creemore for lunch? Creemore has a Shell station with dedicated pumps for Gold, and I know that I'd need fuel by then...

@16VGTIDave - You're right about that!

This all sounds incredibly tempting, especially the Forks of the Credit, however I'm going to have to be a firm "perhaps" until I figure out what I'm doing my birthday weekend :)

I've been working on the route. Currently at 163 km. I'm having a bit of trouble determining which roads in the area are gravel. Google maps doesn't have close enough satellite imagery, but I'm working on it!

... I'm having a bit of trouble determining which roads in the area are gravel...
I may have some local knowledge, having turned back in a few places and found paved ways around. If you PM me the general route, I can see if I can i.d. paved ways to achieve it.

You could always go to the Google Street View on Google Maps to check road conditions, though if course the photos are all a year or two old..

I may have some local knowledge, having turned back in a few places and found paved ways around. If you PM me the general route, I can see if I can i.d. paved ways to achieve it.

I usually twist the throttle a little harder when I see the end of a paved road :D and this being in my backyard, lemme know which way you're headin'...:D

Whats wrong with gravel roads :p You'll likely get a more scenic trip haha
Besides a much smaller group on the ride?
Wait until you've done some riding on gravel roads with vehicles in front of you kicking up a dust cloud. It gets old in a hurry.
Since I started riding bikes 2 years ago, I regard a gravel road as an excuse to look for a long way around on pavement - a win/win if ever there was one.

I'm working on the route. At this time, the rough plan in my head is to meet at the coffee shop in Belfountian at 11am. Talk bikes, drink good coffee and admire each others rides for a bit and then head out for a cruise. The current route is just over 90 km and gets us back to the coffee shop. I've shortened the route at the suggestion of others, so lunch in Creemore won't happen. A late lunch somewhere else is a possibility, but where has yet to be determined.

Nothing is cast in stone yet, and subject to change. I plan on leaving my place around 9, stopping for gas at the Shell/Flying J at 97/401 and then making my way to Belfountain, arriving around 10:30 or so.

Back