Its a 81 xs400 special ..... here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 311
undo all black wires to the frame. clean connector and frame, use smear of vaseline and replace.

ok.... so the switch from the ignition is under my seat... the ground for the switch is in the seat and as you can see the seat is upside down not connected :)... maybe problem.. hahaha

all the earth is good...
switched coil plugs and then i switched orange and grey and the other coil didnt spark so both coils are good... and power is going through all the wires... the igniter is new off a working bike.... pick up coil not gapped right?? how do u gap it?

battery knackered, as I've always said, the xs400's need a good 12v supply especially if electronic ignition bikes

my '81 has the exact same issue...my mechanic buddy said it was the CDI box...have yet to replace it to see.
He has 20 yrs experience in the older bikes...so I tend to trust him...but without knowing for sure that its what fixed the problem,I'm not 100% sure yet.

so only the gry wire sparks... i flipped the wires and the spark went with grey... poor little orange.. no sparks like him.. means coils and caps and all are good... no its eith TCI or Pick up coils.. anyone have the same issue???... i tried a big fully charged battery as well....

going on what my mechanic buddy said...if the TCI is 3 wire..it one bank running both cylinders...if it had 4 wires it would be a 2 bank ...one per cylinder..and it could have a bad bank.
Being that it is 3 wire and one cylinder has spark...it should be in the CDI.
I believe that was his explanation...at least thats how I understood it.
However a TCI on ebay is considerably cheaper than a CDI....I hate electrical issues..I'd rather rebuild the motor twice than fool with electrical gremlins!!

ya.. my TCI has 7 wires.... 3 to the pick up.. 1 ground(blk) 1 orange(coil) 1 grey(coil) and the red wht to power...also my Battery is at 12v..Red white wire to tci reads 12v...Grey wire reds 11.40..and orange is reading 3.70v... i read you can put in a new transistor on from the xs650 guys...????

Back