1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Spark Plug Thread Repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrokeCafe79, Oct 19, 2021.

1. BrokeCafe79

BrokeCafe79 XS400 Member

Does anyone know what of repair kit/tool would be best to repair the threading on the block for the spark plugs? On my bike the previous owner cross threading the left side spark plug and I'm to know the proper tool needed for this repair.

2. tstidham

tstidham XS400 Member

I'd recommend using the Helicoil Sav-a-thread kit. The thread chaser cutting tool works fantastic on aluminum and cuts it like butter. Plus this brand of tool uses inserts that have a knurl at the top and a tool to hammer on it to expand the top lip and lock the repair insert in place. I also typically use red loctite on the insert and let it sit for a good while to cure after inserting it. Load the cutting tool with grease to catch most of the shavings, then user compressed air to blow out any left over chips. Even a can of computer air-duster works for this if you don't have a compressor. Amazon.com: Helicoil 5334-14 Save-A-Thread Thread Repair Kit M14 x 1.25 : Automotive

3. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor