Spark plugs not sparking.

analley4

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have an 82 dohc, I recently just finished putting it back together after replacing some seals. I tried starting it up and after looking into a few things bad to why it wont fire up, I found out the spark plugs arent sparking. I checked my wiring, and I'm getting power to the spark plug cables but I'm guessing something isnt telling it to spark when it needs to..

Impossible, you cannot get any power to those cables unless you DO have spark. They don't power up unless they have spark to make them do so.

Impossible, you cannot get any power to those cables unless you DO have spark. They don't power up unless they have spark to make them do so.
I pulled the spark plugs out of the engine, attached the plugs and tried starting it and there was no arc or spark coming off of the plugs

Another member just had a similar issue, check your kickstand safety switch and relay. If either is bad they can prevent spark, but as already stated it's unlikely you would have power to the plug cables without spark. Unless the plugs are bad or the gap is VERY wrong. Also, when you pull the plug to check for spark, are you grounding the plug to the engine case? If not, that's most likely the issue. They need some sort of ground to make the circuit.

Back