special ii help

rdz-greece

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hi everybody ... i would apreciate any help for the following

first of all just in case it would help my frame number is 3W5-002139

my problems are

a] cant find used parts in greece ... unfortunatelly not a well known bike .... in greece people prefered the sr500

b] my full wiring is a reall mess .... all wires are black :doh:... previous owners mistakes :banghead:

so i would like to ask which one is the correct wiring diagram for my bike so i could start making one new on my own

c] one of my ignition coil does not work .... and i cant find a used one ... the question is ... is there a possibillity i coyld use coils from another yamaha motor [or ther brand] and if yes which one

the ones i have now are these
17-6805.jpg

d] could i use a full set of electricity system [generator, regulator, ignition unit, ignition points, coils] from another bike

e] could you suggest a thread on this forum about how i can make my bike work without a battery only on kickstart ?

f] what kind of spark plugs do you suggest

thanks

Here goes.....lol

a) Can't help with the local places not carrying parts, but you should be able to find most things you need online and have them shipped I guess??

b) Search "XS400 manuals" here and you should be able to locate your bike's diagram. Then it's just a bunch of tracking down wires from there.

c) I'm not sure about using coils from another model, but they do make universal coils that you can use....I'm sure Drewpy will list the coils he is using.

d) I highly doubt everything listed will be the same on another model, but I may be wrong...maybe try cross-referencing the parts numbers?

e) It isn't possible for us to run battery-less (I know, I don't want the big as$ battery either!).

f) I would put the stock recommended plugs in your bike until you do some engine modifications, then you can experiment with other style and heat ranges. The manual will list the recommended plugs.

I know a lot of this is general, but I hope it helps some at least.

got my 12v coils from rex caunt racing, they mainly do brit stuff, just make sure that you have the 2 wires and 1 HT lead from them to connect up. Some vendors will say that their could fit and only have the one wire, It won't work, trust me!

the coils need to be suitable for contact ignition, the electronic ones have different requirements.

I'm sure i have read somewhere that you can use the pencil coils from a ford truck!

Here goes.....lol

whats so funny ??? :confused:

a) Can't help with the local places not carrying parts, but you should be able to find most things you need online and have them shipped I guess??

wrong expression due to my bad english i guess ...... i said that as a fact and not as a question ..... as the fact that i cant find parts so i have to check for combatibillity with other bikes

c) I'm not sure about using coils from another model, but they do make universal coils that you can use....I'm sure Drewpy will list the coils he is using.

a friend of mine told me that it can be done with kawasaki coils and that he will look his notes for the model ..... so maybe there can be combatibility with bikes of that era

d) I highly doubt everything listed will be the same on another model, but I may be wrong...maybe try cross-referencing the parts numbers?

this is something that a lot o people do in greece changing the complete electric system on old bikes if they cant find used parts and the new ones seem expensive

e) It isn't possible for us to run battery-less (I know, I don't want the big as$ battery either!).

now you just killed me:shrug:

f) I would put the stock recommended plugs in your bike until you do some engine modifications, then you can experiment with other style and heat ranges. The manual will list the recommended plugs.

ok :thumbsup:

I know a lot of this is general, but I hope it helps some at least.

you helped a lot thanks

make sure that you have the 2 wires and 1 HT lead from them to connect up.

what is 1HT ????

the coils need to be suitable for contact ignition, the electronic ones have different requirements.

so i am wondering ...... any coil can be taken from ANY bike if it is suitable for contact ignition and has the same input and same output ?

thanks for your help

another thing i forgot to ask
can you give me something to read about frame bracing for the specific bike ?

i have an extra frame which i want to build it as a radical cafe racer with an rd350ypvs engine with about 60 hp on the wheel

thanks

rdz-greece I just rebuilt most of my harness and posted some pictures of how I made a simple harness jig. My harness was in a mess as well (between it being spliced a few times and the burn) but the bike runs fantastic now.

The schematic I used is there as well. In terms of trying to find additional electrical parts, I bought a Yamaha parts catalog on ebay. It was only $12 CAN. At least with that CD rom, I could look up my bike and compare it to other bikes and do a parts cross ref.

There are a few options for removing the battery. However, if you simply want to remove the batter and cap off battery terminals that's fine. Just make sure you keep a good ground from the engine to the frame and the positive feed that once went to the battery is not going to short to the frame. Once you kick the bike over, the generator and rectifier will keep the bike running.

Good luck.

i can´t believe that, because without battery-power the alternator does not produce power, the magneto is electric. cheers from munich hannes

Try German (or UK) ebay. There are loads of parts for the XS400 as they were really popular in Germany. There are also several members of the forum from Europe (UK, Germany, Sweden etc) who may have some of the parts you are missing.

Oh...I think that a 3W5 chassis no. makes it a XS400SG (~1980). Somebody will probably be able to confirm that though.

If you struggle to find an SG wiring diagram let me know and I will scan my copy at work and email a pdf to you.

Caddy

I'm with ERNA. The bike will not run without a battery. You would need a magnito to fire the plugs and a generator to run the lights (the XS has an alternator)

looking at cturek's xs sg here http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4480

i think i look at my bike .... lol

but according to drewpy sg vin code is 3F9

''SG Full equipment version (3F9)cast wheels front disk, G "economy" model (3f8) wire wheels with drum all round. ''

here http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/24702-difference-between-xs400g-and-xs400sg/

could be a different designation for the greek bikes as they may have different equipment specs for your country

Back