Spin on Oil Filter/Oil Cooler (SOHC)

You can search AliExpress for 'oil cooler thermostat plate' and it will show up. They have a bunch of options depending on which fittings you need. You can get them direct from Mocal as well, I think they are a UK company. But they are much cheaper on AliExpress. M20 is the needed center adapter. I used AN8 fittings, but that might have been overkill.

I should add that I had to take a carbide burr to a portion on the side that faces the motor. The Yamaha filter adapter bolt flange, the hex portion, is a little thick. So a slight grind on the oil cooler adapter solved that.

mine came today, looks great and at £12 delivered from china
I'm also converting my Fz600 to spin on and just got an FZR400 adapter plate and bolt really cheap.
I hate changing the old style filters and i can just go down to the local car place and get a spin on

Which filter are you going with drewpy? It's nice to have so many options :)

I put 20 miles on my setup the other day ridding around when I went to get weighed. No leaks from the filter, cooler, or lines. I am getting residual oil build up on the seal from the crankcase to the adapter plate. It's not enough to start a drip, but it's something I need to take care of. Either I didn't remove enough material to make a perfect seal, or the oring is bad. I used the one that was sent with the ebay auction, so who knows how old it is, probably the original. I'll start there, even though it's no big deal as it is. My brand new shifter seal and clutch rod seal are leaking worse.

The aluminum mounts I made up. If you've never mig welded aluminum, keep it that way lol. Stick with tig.
25284961825_cb502ebb65_o.jpg

Last edited:
Which filter are you going with drewpy? It's nice to have so many options :)

I put 20 miles on my setup the other day ridding around when I went to get weighed. No leaks from the filter, cooler, or lines. I am getting residual oil build up on the seal from the crankcase to the adapter plate. It's not enough to start a drip, but it's something I need to take care of. Either I didn't remove enough material to make a perfect seal, or the oring is bad. I used the one that was sent with the ebay auction, so who knows how old it is, probably the original. I'll start there, even though it's no big deal as it is. My brand new shifter seal and clutch rod seal are leaking worse.

The aluminum mounts I made up. If you've never mig welded aluminum, keep it that way lol. Stick with tig.

I've got an xs1100 oil cooler, its small but very well formed :D

Still can't see much of a need for either as oem style filters can be bought for around $3 and unless you live in a 110* desert or actually racing the bike these stay cool under normal conditions with stock finned housing. My 79 has over 35k miles on it and is all stock and never been rebuilt. It still has almost 150 lbs compression on the motor.

Back