Sprockets - Does new bike have the wrong ones?

I did not. I'm going to check mine out (probably tomorrow) and see if there appears to be any mechanical advantage to either direction. The thought occurred to me too that I wish I could see the other side of the sprocket in the parts diagram...

from this pic of the sprocket... the lock plate bolts would bend ears of the lock plate down if mounted center out

Attachments

• Front%20sprocket,%20new%2017T.JPG
    Front%20sprocket,%20new%2017T.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 286
Well I got my 17t coming in, hopefully arrives saturday, along with a new rear sprocket(35t). So i'll be able to post some input here with it :)

Well I got my 17t ... along with a new rear sprocket(35t). So i'll be able to post some input here with it :)
A rear too? That sounds hard to do. The front only was so simple - I'm glad my 35 was nearly new.
I found it very interesting to do those very specific runs with the 16T so I could duplicate them with the 17. Good luck.

So I just swapped the 17t myself, still have to go adjust the clutch(doh), but no biggy. The swap was easy as pie. A few screws, remove the shift level and the rider pegs, then pull the cover. Losen rear tire, push it all the way forward, and then 2 bolts(10mm IIRC), turn the locker a smidgen so you can pull it off. Then pull front sprocket and replace. I pulled the old one, held the chain there with free hand, and put new one onto chain then into place.

Was easy peasey.

I can't recall if Lou was worried about how the sprocket sat... but on my bike it was the raised side towards the engine(facing away from you). That was how it was when I pulled it, and how it put it back in.

Just had a quick ride on it, as i'm quite sick, but couldn't resist.

It was pretty sweet :) Felt very weird though lol. Fourth gear is indeed a usable city gear now. 45mph around 5000rpm(a bit over I believe). 5th gear 5000 rpm's is about 53? or so.

So its nice! Well worth the 20$.

Going to do the rear sprocket replacement next weekend when I get tires replaced.

Just had a quick ride on it, as i'm quite sick, but couldn't resist. It was pretty sweet :) Felt very weird though lol. Fourth gear is indeed a usable city gear now. 45mph around 5000rpm(a bit over I believe). 5th gear 5000 rpm's is about 53? or so.
So its nice! Well worth the 20$.
How can you be sick? Everyone I know goes to PHX to escape sickness. Sure it's not just heat-stroke?
Glad you like the 17T. I like it more each time I ride. Went on a long one all over today - 106 kms (65 miles) in total. It was nicest at just over 50 (80) @ just under 5,000 rpms. 5,000 would = 53 mph exactly.
I hope your back end is just as easy but it looks harder.
I was a bit worried when B-W said his PO had installed the 16T the other way and the parts manual had it flat side out but wasn't clear on whether there was a bump on the blind side. If his was right then mine was wrong and vice-verse. I'm pretty sure you and I have it right though - so unless B-W comes up with another drawing I will be leaving well enough alone.
Get well soon.

My insurance from the new job doesn't kick in for another 18 days, so hopefully whatever I have clears up soon.

I actually have been cruising between 6k and 6.5k on the freeway to work, and still being a bit behind traffic. This little bike keeps giving though, even at 6.5k, if I gun it the bike moves fast. So hopefully now I can sit around 6k and not get ran over all the time.

Kind of funny, but first gear is awesome now. Its a lot funner, even though its a small change, it just feels a touch less violent now. Not so much 'WOOOO! *stop for shift* WOOO!'.

Thanks again Lou for well wishes and the posting of your 17t results. I'll post how it feels at 6k and 6.5k in a few days.

Just got into work a bit ago.. first good ride on the 17(about 20 miles, mostly flat, 60-75mph).

Over all results:

:thumbsup:

Not too much noticeable loss of power in first or second. Honestly there isn't much difference in those gears at all. 3rd is a BIT better in terms of usability, while 4th gains a new life. Its actually usable now on the street. At least without sounding like a jack ass by having a bike at 5500 or whatever it was. Around 5k it goes around 43 or 44? Which is pretty nice. Fifth is great now. Spent about 10 miles around 6.5 to 6.7k, going about 70. Bike did fine, still had lots of power to go.

yay

Just got into work a bit ago.. first good ride on the 17(about 20 miles, mostly flat, 60-75mph).
Over all results:
:thumbsup:
. . . . Fifth is great now. Spent about 10 miles around 6.5 to 6.7k, going about 70. Bike did fine, still had lots of power to go.
yay
We will need to give Petei good advice on whether he can scale the Rockies on his trip home with a 17T. Based on the way mine performs on steep grades with me aboard (160 lbs), I would say he will have no trouble and will really appreciate it on the Prairies.
Have you found a hill :yikes: out there to test it on yet?

Nothing too long yet, but I'm going to take a cruise up to a pretty steep graded hill in a few hours. The short hills I did were fine. I was in 5th at about 70% throttle(just to see what it would do) going from about 4500rpm, and it moved right up to about 6500 or 7000. I think he'd be fine in the rockies. Worst case scenario, 4th gear on steep climbs. I doubt that though. Might just be a case of using 4th gear is nicer to the engine than anything else.

Nothing too long yet, but I'm going to take a cruise up to a pretty steep graded hill in a few hours. The short hills I did were fine. I was in 5th at about 70% throttle(just to see what it would do) going from about 4500rpm, and it moved right up to about 6500 or 7000. I think he'd be fine in the rockies. Worst case scenario, 4th gear on steep climbs. I doubt that though. Might just be a case of using 4th gear is nicer to the engine than anything else.
Did you ever get to the steep hill or over to the mountains?

So I just swapped the 17t myself, still have to go adjust the clutch(doh), but no biggy. The swap was easy as pie. A few screws, remove the shift level and the rider pegs, then pull the cover. Losen rear tire, push it all the way forward, and then 2 bolts(10mm IIRC), turn the locker a smidgen so you can pull it off. Then pull front sprocket and replace. I pulled the old one, held the chain there with free hand, and put new one onto chain then into place.

Was easy peasey.

This was all I can find on here for actual instruction. Any other instruction, tricks, or tips? He mentioned adjusting the clutch...could someone explain that one please?

This was all I can find on here for actual instruction. Any other instruction, tricks, or tips? He mentioned adjusting the clutch...could someone explain that one please?
Earlier in the thread it explains the simple steps to do the swap. Everything stays the same other than the rear wheel which needs to move forward a smidge to account for the extra tooth.

I think Dan Mach had a separate issue to resolve vis-a-vis his clutch. I did not need to adjust my clutch, however, I almost lost one of the ball bearings in the tube thingy mounted to the sprocket cover plate that you have to remove.
Don't just let it dangle and bang around. When you get it off, take care not to dislodge the clutch cable, and find something else (besides the clutch cable) to to hold it out of the way while you remove and replace the sprocket.

Back