starter button wiring

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, here we go. I had a bad rt side handlebar switch on my 77 400D. I took the switch apart and was able to figure out the headlight wiring, but the on/off switch had a totally different colored wire going to it and the connections were all broken so I can't "go to school on them". The wire in question is brown, a color which I know to be used normally in the blinker circuit. I had blue and blue/black and red/yellow for the headlight. The starter switch calls for blue/white and a "black" wire...which there are no black wires in the circuit. That leaves a red/white and the brown. I see that the red and white eventually leads to the starter solenoid as does the blue and white. If I hook the test light to those wires and press the starter the light goes out, I was of the opinion that it would be unlit until pressed. I do hear hear a slight hum, when the button is pushed, at the solenoid The blue/white wire is not a"hot", nor is the brown I mentioned earlier. I am installing a momentary push button for a starter and I would love some direction here. I have a toggle (2 wire) to be the on/off and the momentary....any ideas? Greatly appreciated, I have gone over and over the schematics but I come up with nothing.

Back