Starter solenoid

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, so my bike is basically torn down to the frame.

After the dilemma I went through last summer, the original 360 engine had some tranny issues and a bearing blew out and basically ruined the entire bottom end. Luckily, I had a spare XS400 bike that was untested and I pretty much bolted the engine in the 360 frame and was riding again that weekend.

SORRY for the lack of photos, once my hands get dirty, its too messy dealing with a phone/camera to take shots. I will try to get more before I get my hands dirty again.

Anyways, I ended up replacing the head gasket as I was sure there was an oil leak, and decided to lap the valves too. Im worried about dropping a valve now since I disturbed everything, the valves needed it bad though.

I bought new aftermarket fork tubes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORK-PIPE-...782927?hash=item3b06a898cf:g:6XAAAOSwXJFatRvS

When I bought these, they were $120 shipped so clearly you can see that the price has gone up. Buying these was more of an experiment, since they were so cheap I thought that the quality would be crap... Well, I was wrong. These things are a perfect fit and definitely worth the price they are at now, considering how much NOS ones are and the cost of having old ones refurbished.

I picked up new progressive springs as well. Picked up a set of XS650 period correct aftermarket shocks too, but they were a bit stiff and I just didnt like how they fit.

Im also tidying up the wiring and trimming a ton of fat off of the harness. I reluctantly bought a 4-cell anti gravity battery so I can tuck that away.

Im on the search for a smaller starter solenoid. I see theres a bunch of them. They are a pretty universal part arent they? I came across a LUCAS brand solenoid thats for an old MG (I happen to own an MGB) and i think it could work. They are under $30. Has anyone gone with a smaller solenoid?

Sorry for the long winded post, Im sorta of combing 3 topics into one post..

Thanks for any help and Ill see what I can get for photos! A lot of my photos are taken on my Nikon D3300 and they are just too big to upload.

Back