1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Starter won't stop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BambinoFan, Aug 13, 2022.

1. BambinoFan

BambinoFan XS400 Member

Had trouble starting my bike figured "hey I should start with the battery." Lo and behold it started amazing. But I heard some weird tumbling noises, so I hit kill but the starter was still pushing on. Had to unscrew the battery, sparky mess. How'd I mess this up? What is wrong?

2. Kitchi

Kitchi XS400 Enthusiast

Canada
    hmmm does the starter switch release when you take your finger off?
    If it dose your solenoid might be sticking on when energized and not releasing as it should.

Just curious if you try to connect your battery does you starter try to engage?
    If it dose pull the 20 amp fuse and try again.
    If the starter still engages than your solenoid is faulty.
    give the solenoid a wack with the handle a screw driver this usually releases it if it is stuck so you can kick start your bike and use it until it is fixed

When you pull the 20 amp fuse you disable the control side of the solenoid as well as the rest of the electrical system.

BambinoFan likes this.
  3. BambinoFan

BambinoFan XS400 Member

Thanks for your reply Kitchi! Think the solenoid was stuck? I took it out and diagnosed it alone. It was switching correctly when I tested it. Or maybe I unstuck it while I was testing, I unno. Anyways, appears to be working now. Gonna start looking into updating this old tube fusebox...

4. Kitchi

Kitchi XS400 Enthusiast

Canada
    If the solenoid stuck change it. it will most likely happen again.

BambinoFan likes this.
  5. MoonClipper

MoonClipper XS400 Enthusiast

Make sure the solenoid is upright. Some of the cheaper Chinese solenoids will close when on their side/upside down. I know this from first hand experience.

If you need to replace the solenoid, I've had a 1PZ solenoid off Amazon that I've been using and it's worked great for 6~ months (when I replaced the cheap Chinese one that literally rusted apart)

BambinoFan likes this.