Starting my new project 1979 xs400

Chris-RNR

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, been nosing around the forum for a while now and thought id start a thread about my new project.
Picked up last week and already stuck in, come across a few hurdles but been fixing as i go.
Starter clutch was making a hell of a racket so i didn't touch that button again, whipped the cover off to find the clutch bolts were either not lock tighted or tightened up properly causing it to destroy the pulse wheel/flywheel threads:doh:
Fair enough second hand flywheel and starter clutch found and ordered off of ebay for £23 delivered :)
Its got 50,000 on the clock so i wanted to check the compression, looked at the R/H spark plug to remove and saw something horrible, it seemed to have been helicoiled :/
My suspicions confirmed i now have the task of finding a second hand head in the uk, i could get it repaired but would prefer a solid unit :) if anyone has a lead on one feel free to wade in.
Anyway pictures will follow, cant seem to add them with the tablet :/.
Thanks for reading, Chris.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 397
what's wrong with helicoils?

they are standard fitment for ally engines in aircraft because they are a stronger thread

welcome BTW :D

This one was fitted by an ape, they completely mangled the thread and oblonged the hole a little.
It wasn't the helicoil that was horrible it was the way it had been inserted :)

Thanks for the warm welcome, been reading up a lot over the last week and you seem to be right on the ball drewpy.
I was hoping you would jump in i was going to ask where you got the tinned wall cable from? Maplin? I have to rewire the stator as the plastic insulation is all torn up.

Welcome to the forum. Look like you have a good bike to work with, other than the starter clutch:)

What kind of noise was the starter clutch making? :/ mine makes a loud grinding rattling every so often if i push the start and it doesn't fire up, hoping that is just the normal sounds of a 34 yr old bike haha It still starts my bike most times mind you haha

Welcome! Hope to see lots of pics and details here as I have a 79 as well.

@xschris thanks, its a great forum, it was a pretty good place to start but am uncovering more things as i go.
Got some marks on the top of the piston and the base of the head......... Guessing something got in there :/

@recreateme it was making a lot of grinding and rattling, the bike turned over that time but it just sounded nasty so i didn't want to touch it again just in case.

Cheers Spad keeps the momentum documenting it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 358
damnit lol Yeah mine can get grindy and rattly as well.. I guess i will have to take a look at it. It engages and starts the bike more often then not, i think i am going to just leave it until it totally goes.. lol

@xschris thanks, its a great forum, it was a pretty good place to start but am uncovering more things as i go.
Got some marks on the top of the piston and the base of the head......... Guessing something got in there :/

@recreateme it was making a lot of grinding and rattling, the bike turned over that time but it just sounded nasty so i didn't want to touch it again just in case.

Cheers Spad keeps the momentum documenting it.

I see there is some marks like something might have hit the top of the piston. Also looks like it has been over bored to .25

RNR Looks like the classic piece of broken ring on that piston top...Probably happened before if that has had a rebore, wouldn't worry about it..Recreate, I know sounds dumb,but I would go and make sure all nuts and bolts are tight or you haven't got a stripped one...Spad

Thats exactly what happened to mine, all bolts loose and threads either stripped from the excessive movement or the cause of the problem,
They are .25 over, just dressed the head a little to get those mark edges as flat to the head as possible with an extra fine diamond grit file.

Its been a while since I have updated but I have been tinkering in the garage, i have been tidying up the frame getting rid of the unwanted panel mounts and whatnot.
Also i was hoping to have snagged a wurth time sert kit to repair the head with but got out bid in the last few seconds, so i need to arrange one of those in the very near future.
I also knocked up an electronic ignition module from the schematic that drewpy posted.
I asked xscup's permission beforehand which he kindly granted with best wishes, what a fine fellow he is.

Heres a pic of the board all soldered and wired up, need to get a little creative with the housing and then it is ready to bolt in.
Cant wait to have the engine running again to see if this beauty works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 366
Back