Startup problems

Matt400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

This is a weird one and neither myself or my friends can figure it out. I recently cleaned the carbs and re jetted my 400. Since putting it all back in I have been having some problems getting the bike to start. It seems to start about 30% of the time when its started from perfectly upright (on the center stand) but will not start if on the kickstand. Once it does start it seems to run waaaay better than before but I can't figure out why after having it run for 10 minutes, shutting it off, then trying to turn it back on and it won't start most of the time.

I am going to be getting new spark plugs and am going to run some sea foam through it and see if that gets me anywhere but if anyone has any thoughts please let me know!

Which jets did you change? The mains? Pilots?

Have you sync'd the carbs? Have you checked the float heights? Re-adjusted the pilot screws?

Not wanting to start with the bike tipped over kind of sounds like a fuel level issue which leads me to suspect the float height.

Also..... is the line from your petcock too long? If the line dips down you might be getting vapor-lock. This would be made worse with the bike on it's side stand vs. the center stand.

Back