State Inspection Worries

Higgy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So my upcoming project will be a hardtailed XS400 bobber. After reading the requirements for state inspection, I am finding that there is stuff required by my state (NH) that I do not want to add to my bike build. Mirror, muffler, speedo, and horn in particular.

Now I have ridden in NH for years without any inspection sticker, and never got caught. It's common knowledge that cops just don't take notice... Unless they pull your ass over. Here is where I start to get concerned.

In the years of riding without a sticker, the bikes I rode were all stock and modest, tame bikes. Nothing out of the ordinary. No one really took notice. Since I'll be building a bobber, I expect it to turn heads a little. Cops have heads too. I don't feel like getting jacked up for not having it stickered. So what should I do?

What does the New Hampshire contingent say about this?

I'd love to have open pipes, no mirrors, and no speedo. Can anyone offer some advice?

I don't inspect mine, but I only do 500-1000 miles a year on it max. Funny thing is; I DO meet the criteria, but some stations have given me a hard time for not having a true rear fender on the bike (a requirement).

If you don't inspect you run a risk. It's quite unlikely they will notice the lack of a sticker while the bike is moving, but if you get pulled over or they see you at a red light they will notice and check. The result will likely be a warning assuming nothing else is wrong (no other crimes or warrants!), but there is no guarantee of this. They might be in a bad mood or just not like you for whatever reason.

EDIT:

Sorry I am removing most of my comments because I am being a douche canoe. I apologize.

Last edited:
Back