Strange electrical issue

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Its been a while since I last posted on the forums but those who remember my bike no it developed electrical issues a couple of years ago.
The 1st one was after changing handle bars which was ground problem through the controls.
Now I have 2 more issues facing me,the easiest of all probably to fix is and check is a discharging issue.
The newest one one to hit the bike is with the key on something is draining the charge out of the battery.
I plan on selling the bike in the near future but would like to try and fix these issues first before I do_Our market around here is soft and one good thing that help bring up the value other than the obvious is the fact its rare bike in my kneck of the woods.You mention Yamaha XS and people are like huh?
The bike has a title so thats a good thing also.Im not really interested in parting it out if Im going to sell its going to be complete.

How quickly does the battery drain? The alternator field coil will draw 1-2 amps with the key on.

Yeah...I'm confused. With the key on and bike not running, the battery will drain, at least by the field coil and warning lights if not other things The problem is when the key if off and there is a drain.

Last edited:
Ok one thing I did`nt take into consideration is it could be the tail light that, draining the battery when the key is on?
I turned on the ignition and had my volt meter hooked to the battery and watched voltage drain instantly..
I`ll be able to give more feed back tomorrow as Im getting a new battery and will be able to do
some more diagnostic tomorrow.
Thanks for the replies also :)

Back