Streetfighter build in progress - pics

Yeah that tank looks pretty bad. Good luck with that one...

Have any before and after pictures of the electrolysis de-rusting? How big of a charger did you use? I have a smaller manual charger that seems to work well enough.

Yes it will take luck, because I don't have the skills, but I'll try. 10 amp charger works fine. I'll take some pics today, it is quite amazing. I've also used Rustaway with equally good results.

With that section rotted out THAT BAD, is it worth it to try to repair the tank? Won't you have another area that's ready to fall apart soon after?

I'm sure you could find a tank on ebay....

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fixing, modding, building stuff. That tank just seems roached.

I've searched ebay contacted all the salvage yards I know of and no one has a used tank like this. Hard to believe when there is a ton of other parts available for the Seca version. I found a NOS, $500.00 plus is out of line.

It seesm the only week spots are these low points on the tank on either side although the right side only has pin holes I guess from it resting on the side stand the left held all the water. I think I can craft a metal patch braze it in, lead it in case I left any potential leaks and smooth over with body filler. A lot of work for ssure, but with few alternatives I'll give it a shot.

Todays Progress:
Here is my electrolisys set up: Gives new meaning to "Rust Bucket".
IMG_2025.jpg

"Before and After" not the same part, but the results are the same. Check out how the rust transfered to the end wrench
IMG_2024.jpg

As Two Jugs says "my welding has greatly improved my grinding skills" One patch down and three to go.
IMG_2027.jpg

Once the patches are complete I'll give the old elctro treatment to tank and coat with Red-Quote as final sealant. I've got you know what crossed for a successsful conlusion.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of electrolysis also. Here's a picture of what came out of my XS400 tank. I actually pulled the rod out and shook off this much rust three times.

4571160752_19093513d5_z.jpg

cturek, I'm a big fan too. When I clean tanks, I usually clean the electrode every few hours. Maybe I don't need to clean it so much ???

Jim, those results look good!!! I'm feeling the need to go out into the garage and clean some rusty parts!

Proigress - Well I'm done stripping, cleaning, painting and collecting all the parts and finally putting her back together. Mods: bobbed rear fender, integrated tailight, bobbed and chopped front fender, forks rebuilt new seals, lowered and polished, monoshock shortened, XS650 style instruments, Engine/cam cover polished, valve lash checked (thank God I don't have to deal with those shim adjusters), all SS socket head fasteners, billet foot pegs, Carbon Fiber look turn signals, dual dominator headlight, all new cables, levers and bar end mirrors. All that's left is to do final assembly sort out the wiring, trim the seat and finish welding up the sive of a fuel tank - UGH!

Not sure wheter to wrap the headers or paint satin black - what do you think

Here's a pic as of yesterday.
IMG_2034.jpg

My Cave
IMG_2029.jpg

Great progress. Between painting or wrapping the headers, I think headers look sleeker when painted vs. the extra diameter you get when wrapped.

out of curiosity would a tank off an 83 650 seca work
I have one off a parts bike..its in need of some body work...but If it would work I could fix it and put it in primer or paint for you?

Good to hear it's coming along. I say paint the headers and if you don't like them, then try the wrap.

On a side note... I have a friend who bought those dominator headlights and similar looking headlight ears for his SV1000 after he crashed it. They worked well for a while, but now they're all messed up because he comes down hard from wheelies a lot... I don't think you'll have that problem on the 400 :wink2:

Travis, I can't even spell wheelies! :laugh:

Cturek, Ya I'm gonna paint them. I'm looking for a mild streetfighter look not a rat bike.

Those headlights throw some wicked lumens and BTU's

Skillzman1, I doubt a Seca 650 tank would be a direct fit, but maybe I could make it work. Send me a picture and price unrepaired and unpainted.

More progresss today. Got the handlebar and switch gear, instruments and new front tire mounted. Now to the wiring. Waiting for my monoshock had it cut and shortened 1" then I can put the ass end on.

Quick update

Installed the instruments, handlebar, switchgear, sportbike footpegs, pod air filters and bar end mirrors. Even got 90% of the wiring sorted. It sure is a lot more fun on the assembly side of the project. I communicated with Richard Back Editor-in Chief, Motorcycle Classics Magazine and he plans to feaature it in an upcoming issue. I love the Mag. As I posted in the XS650 Forum one of the editors Landon Hall has a XS650 he's preping for a long winters nap.

IMG_2035.jpg

Damn you better do it up right if it's going to be a featured in a magazine. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Damn you better do it up right if it's going to be a featured in a magazine. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Travis,

I'm gonna need you come down here and lend a hand. Hate to drag away from the arctic north, but you gota so what you gota do.

There is no certainty - it depends upon my craftmanship. He said he would like to reature and to keep posted on progrss and completion.

So get your tickets now and join in the fun in the sunny warm south Forida.

I wish! Except I may want to deviate from your project plan a little bit :D

Also I have plenty of projects around here to keep me busy!

hey south Florida sounds pretty good right now...been below freezing going on 2+ weeks here...and last week was single digits and teens!!
thus slowing the progress on my build!!

Moving along got the front tire mounted balanced and installed. Having trouble bleeding the brake even with a vacuum pump. I recall someone said clamp the lever to the grip open the bleeder and let it set overnight. Well that's wher I left off today. Any truth to this procedure?

Anyone up to sorting this rats nest?

IMG00079-20101227-1620.jpg

Back