Streetfighter build in progress - pics

if you can get the brake piston to fully extend,with a shot of air.....just make sure it doesnt come out........then fill the caliper with fluid,attach the brake line,and squeeze the piston back in...it should force the fluid up the brake line into the master cylinder...empty the master cylinder first.

Are you using the old brake line? Is the master cylinder good.

I had a project where the brake line flexed so much when you squeezed the brake lever that I swore there was air in the line. I could squeeze the lever to the bar with ease. I bled the system every which way with no luck. Got a new brake line, bled it again and had a rock solid brake. Don't let that old spongy line fool you.

Travis, MC needs rebuilding - good call.

Here's an update photo - all that's left is rear suspension, clutch/throttle cable and paint the tank. Rebuilt the carbs today and its running awesome. Eager to ride hopefully next weekend.

IMG_2044.jpg

Some updates
Travis the tank is in the raw in above photos. I intend to paint the tank two tone the main portion silver like the front fender and the coves will be graphite to match the side covers and the rear cowl.

After braze welding metal patches to replace rusted out metal I then laminated expoxy with fiber glass cloth to seal the few seeping pin holes. It's now on electrolsis to derust the inside. Once derusted I will seal the inside with Red-Kote.

IMG_2047.jpg

I scuffed the exhaust system and painted it with a semi-gloss finish also did the carbs the same way after I took this photo.

IMG_2048.jpg

All that's left is to mount the rear suspension and wheel and head on down the road.

Skillzman1 - that's terrific THANKS!! I have an ongoing search adn it never came up. Where did you find it? I mean which search category?

I used Duplicor Semigloss engine paint. I'm hoping because the headers are double wall they will hold up under the heat. All the High temp header paints are flat and I find to be ugly.

I used Duplicor Semigloss engine paint. I'm hoping because the headers are double wall they will hold up under the heat. All the High temp header paints are flat and I find to be ugly.
I know what you mean. I have tried a few brands on a couple atvs I've had in the past and almost everytime they fade. That's some of the reason I used header wrap on my XS. Great work though! Now get back out there and do some more work to the bike! lol Just kidding....but really....

Well if it fades I see that Eastwood has a semi header paint in silver and black and I can always wrap the headers and leave the mufflers black.

I'll be back on the job tomorrow. Waitng for some cables and a MC kit and the blessed fuel tank to de-rust.

How expensive is it to make the electrolisis set-up you have? I would definitely be intersted in my own as the inside of my tank is getting a little rusty. I really know nothing about the process, but I think I could get it to work.

Also, speaking of Eastwood, have you tried any of their DIY powdercoating set-ups? I have thought about getting an old oven and trying it out, but haven't taken the "plunge" yet.

How expensive is it to make the electrolisis set-up you have? I would definitely be intersted in my own as the inside of my tank is getting a little rusty. I really know nothing about the process, but I think I could get it to work.

Also, speaking of Eastwood, have you tried any of their DIY powdercoating set-ups? I have thought about getting an old oven and trying it out, but haven't taken the "plunge" yet.
All you need is a 10 battery charger and some borax and a coat hanger.

Here's a link: http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/motorcycle/KElecSetup.html

I've heard good things about the harbor freight setup...for a DIY kit
http://www.harborfreight.com/shop-all-departments
and there are several companies that sell a host of powders for specific applications

All you need is a 10 battery charger and some borax and a coat hanger.

Here's a link: http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/motorcycle/KElecSetup.html
Thanks! I googled the process and think I have a pretty good understanding of the set-up and the process.

I came up with this link...

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Miscellaneous/Rust_Removal.htm

Is that the same sort of process that you use? I can't wait to try this out. Lord knows that cleaning up a "rat bike" could use plenty of rust removal! lol

Travis the tank is in the raw in above photos. I intend to paint the tank two tone the main portion silver like the front fender and the coves will be graphite to match the side covers and the rear cowl.

Yep, I could tell. :) I think the tank will look good like that. Good work on the tank so far! :thumbsup:

Hardtailed77, Heres another link for electroysis http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30

Back