1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Stripped oil screen bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buztabuzt, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Old Yamma twin. Oil and filter change as usual. Had been a few years since I looked at the oil screen thats at the bottom of the oil pan (slightly below drain bolt. Held on by 6 tiny 8mm bolts and a gasket. In past it had some small metal flakes so wanted to give it a look. Looked good

Went to reattach with torque wrench set to 10 ft-lbs. Torque wrench worked fine for drain bolt and filter bolt. Something went wrong at such a low setting. I kept spinning it and was surprised it hadn't clicked off. I kept spinning (gasp), despite thinking something was off.

Now I have half a bolt that dropped out, half stuck way in there. Naturally it stripped the threads in that area. So... I assume best practice would be to remove the half a bolt somehow (seems too deep / small for EZ out) and retap it? Would it be terribly ill-advised to leave it and see if it just holds a seal assuming I don't need to check that screen anytime soon and know I need to keep an eye on it/oil level?

TLDR: Can i leave stripped half bolt in bottom of pan? It's one of 6 bolts holding on a screen housing. I added couple hundred CC of oil last night to see if it drips (not under load).
    IMG_1030.jpg IMG_1024.jpg

2. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Addict

I wouldn't leave a broken bolt in the case, but that's just me. I have seen others do a lot worse than leave one broken bolt in an engine though.

It would take some careful drilling and a small EZout to get it out. Not a fun job, especially with the engine still in the frame.

3. JPaganel

JPaganel XS400 Addict