Swedish xs400 bobber build start.

Haven't been on here for long now. Been buzy working on getting my other chopper through registration and inspection.

Anyhow. Ripped my motor out today. Got to change out a leaking head gasket and prolly smooth out the ports and maybe shave a tenth or two off the head while I'm at it. And MAYBE get me some new piston rings as well. I figure I'll better do that while I have the engine out. Depending on how the pistons look..

Getting the engine out was easy peasy. Not nearly as heavy as my CB750 motor. That fucker you need to be 2 to get in and out. Or use some bad ass jedi tricks on it.
Getting it back in might prove a bit harder. Time will tell.

8559761945_cd182c8c8d_z.jpg

8560857796_2b33b36d3f_z.jpg

8559754473_956e3252dd_z.jpg

Haha.. One could think so.

Got the top end off. Quite a bit of grime on the exhaust side of the cylinder. No sign of damage on the head gasket - which is worrying. :confused: New one on it's way never the less. Along with intake and exhaust gaskets, oil filter, o-rings, spark plugs and oil. I might even get me a set of new coils with extended cords so I can hide those ugly suckers behind my right side cover. As they sit now, below the tank in full view just looks awful.

Anyone know what Yamabond to use on the valve cover? What number?

8562770264_25fced541a_z.jpg

I think I'll be hitting my side covers and valve cover up with some scotchbrite to get that new but not anally polished look.

I´m curious, where did you order the coils?
My works well, but the wires look like shit......(and they are ugly to)
Ser bra ut annars. =)

I haven't ordered them yet. You can find new ones (not OEM) on ebay. That's where I'll order mine.. I'll try and get a link up in here.

Look for item number 190401738687 over at ebay. That one doesn't ship to Sweden I recon, but there are others that sell the same kind of coils (cheaper I've found out) to Sweden.

Hey Guys, I'm in Malmö too. Just bought a very nice 82' xs400 up in Kristianstad. Too damn nice to tear apart, but then I want it bobber or cafe style. I'm just gonna ride it this summer and then decide what direction to go and do the work during winter.

Well Weltzien, let me know if you're out and about. I'm roaming around Malmö and Lund quite a lot.

Me too. Would be nice to ride with some other Xs400's some day. I can surely need some pointers on where to get nice parts for my bike. Btw, did you sell your tank?

Hello Stabler!

Very nice thread! I couldnt stop reading/watching last night!! A inspiring project for me, I plan to build my own scrambler and the xs400 seems to be a good donor bike. Agree? Even though the cafe racer- or bobber styled bikes are more common, I really like the scrambler looks and riding possibilities.

My question for you is about skill and knowledge regarding bike building; I have never welded or built a bike before. Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any tip for me?

Hope you have fun riding your very own bike this beautiful swedish summer!

Hi Neptun.

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding building your first scoot; get a Clymer or Haynes manual and let it take time.
When I started my CB750 build I had never welded or built a whole bike from scratch either. This XS400 I did while waiting for parts to my CB750.
The search function on this site and google will come in handy to. Much knowledge here. No need tl make someone elses misstake all over.

Good luck!

Back