Syncing carbs without vacuum gauge?

nitrofish1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
How can it be done? I was reading on how to do this but I do not own a vacuum gauge set. Was wondering if you all had a way of verifying carb sync without using these.

Thanks

I found a way to get them balanced pretty close without tools. Since i had my carbs off of the bike while cleaning them up, i just blew through the intake of each carb. It is pretty easy to judge how much air is going through each carb as you blow. I adjusted the sync screw until i felt they were "balanced".:shrug: worked for me.

Edited: my wording

Last edited:
Use two drill bits shanks of the same diameter...Adjust to you feel the same amount of drag on the butterflies...

Use two drill bits shanks of the same diameter...Adjust to you feel the same amount of drag on the butterflies...

That's a good way to get it close...if your cylinders have exactly the same compression and if your carbs flow identically. Of course, those are both the goal, but after 30 years...

Yeah, it's only a rough sync... Place two identical drill bits(the smooth shank portion) or small barstock of the same diameter under the butterflies. Adjust the sync screw until you feel the same amount of drag on both sides. It will get you in the ball park...

A piece of paper cut to about a 1/4 wide, use like a feeler gauge to get both butterflies so the paper pulls out with the same pull.
Building the homemade Manometer cost less than $5. A coulpe of bucks for the hose, a stick and some tape. Fill the hose with a bit of bright or dark fluid, tranny fluid works good.
Hook to the bike and set the sync. Easy Peasy.
Leo

On your carb holders there is a vaccum port. One side hooks to the petcock, the other has a cap on it. Remove the hose and cap, hook one end of the manometer yo each vaccum port.
Set the petcock to prime, start the bike. If the fluid in the hose goes high to one side stop the engine. Turn the sync screw a bit restart. If the fluid level is closer to even you turned the sync screw the right way. now as it idles adjust the sync screw till the fluid is even on both sides.
Leo

Back