tach drive cable missing, housing still connected

sly409

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So heres the problem.. When I bought my bike initially the tach wasnt working and the PO said it may be broken or the tach cable may be broken. I disconnected the tach cable to find that the internal tach cable was missing completely even though the external housing cable was still connected. This leads me to believe 1 of 2 things may have happened. 1)the cable broke a while back and the previous owner took out the broken bits but didnt bother to replace it and kept the cable connected so that there would still be something plugging the motor end of the cable. 2) would be that it broke off and the entire length of the cable got sucked into the motor. I don't know if thats possible but I would imagine this would be really bad for my motor so I'm hoping that isnt the case.

-I guess my question is what should I look for now?
-Is it even possible for the entire length of cable getting sucked in?
-How much damage could there be internally?
-Is it something I can listen for when my bike is turned on?

When I picked it up initially the PO started up the bike for me and I didnt hear anything that would be any cause for concern. I started it up 2 more times after I bought it and the only thing I really noticed was it being really loud from no exhaust but nothing like the sound of a cable getting chewed up inside or anything strange like that.

Thanks guys!

No it cant get sucked in there just remove the old cable and put a new one in.

its a square socket on a separate mech that meshes with the cam gear.

as xschris says, just pout a new cable on and keep it lubed!

Back