Tachometer Cable Engine Insert Stuck

BigMacDouble

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey spent a couple hours cleaning this cam cover then when I went to install notice this insert which was thoroughly stuck. I’m guessing this is aluminum on steel galvanic corrosion from the rust build up seen through the screw hole.

So it’s basically welded in and there’s nothing much to grab onto anyways .

How should I proceed .
Are there any cables I could just put inside this .
Or maybe just grind it out with a dremel? I’ll probably ruin the worm gear .
Or just order a new cover which I hope it won’t come to .

Attachments

• 5E1FB8AA-7B52-4D05-AF38-A72EC74D6BFA.jpeg
    5E1FB8AA-7B52-4D05-AF38-A72EC74D6BFA.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 26695FE3-E58C-4817-AE4F-9872C7033C17.jpeg
    26695FE3-E58C-4817-AE4F-9872C7033C17.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 202
The parts breakdown shows a circlip in there that either retains the sleeve or the worm gear in the sleeve. If you washed part in strong soap and let it dry where the corrosion came from. I NEVER let cleaned parts dry on their own any more, too many ruined parts over the years.

If the gear still turns in the bushing why do you even need it out? Oil it up and leave it alone.

I suppose you know you must buy another head to match the cover, they are matched parts. Unless you know how to remachine for the error.

The parts breakdown shows a circlip in there that either retains the sleeve or the worm gear in the sleeve. If you washed part in strong soap and let it dry where the corrosion came from. I NEVER let cleaned parts dry on their own any more, too many ruined parts over the years.

If the gear still turns in the bushing why do you even need it out? Oil it up and leave it alone.

I suppose you know you must buy another head to match the cover, they are matched parts. Unless you know how to remachine for the error.
I bought the bike and the head was like this. Need to remove the metal piece to fit a new tachometer cable i think . dont have a new one to test yet.

Matched parts does that mean a new cover wont seal with the head if i get a new one? does the gasket glue not seal them?

The cover and head each form one half of the bearing bores, change either part and the bores are no longer round and can even seize up the cam to severe damage.

Get the cable before you tear something up, the cable usually simply inserts into the middle hole in the metal piece.

Last edited:
That metal part is the end of the cable that goes into the cover. If you use an ez-out of maybe a screw that can grab it shout twist and pull out. Unless the retaining bolt broke off and is still holding it in.
DSC03914.JPG

Back