Tachometer Cable Install

Mason Spencer

XS400 newbie
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I got a tach cable to accompany my analog gauges, the guy before me had electronic ones and they were definitely not accurate. Plus I like the look of the originals anyways, but I digress.

I noticed when I try to install it into the top end, it doesn't go deep enough (1st pic). You should be able to see clear through so the retaining screw can go back in. When I take the inner cable out and test it, the housing seats just fine. The cable has this collar (2nd pic) that I assume ensures the inner cable doesn't move back and forth when installed. However, I think they assembled it too close to the end, and it bottoms out too soon. Hence causing the issue in picture 1.

My question is, can I remove this little collar and be good? I don't know if it is there to also keep the wire from sliding down into the bevel gears that measure the speed.

PXL_20220721_015711235.jpg

PXL_20220721_015651750.jpg

PXL_20220727_025340172.jpg

The tach end doesn't have the same collar, however if I try and pull the inner cable out and flip it around, too much sticks out where you can't screw the cable into the tach.

Back