tank dent repair

tyguy159

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
so I got a 78 xs 400 for my first bike and I absolutly love it, but i went out to my bike this morning to find it thrown on the ground with a single large dent in the tank ( as well as other minor cosmetic damages). Anyways i really want to get the dent out for as little cost as possible as i am in high school and have no money haha, if anyone has any advice or tips all would be weelcomed and greatly appreiciated. thanks!

pics?
depending on the location you may be able to spoon it out thru the cap hole...use something with out a sharp edge...
but pics of the type of dent would help with diagnosis of a cure.

Like Skillzman said,a set of spoons or even a tire tool could be of use depending on where the dent is. It's kind of an intricate job,but it works. I've seen it done and it looks interesting! lha

Has anyone actually used the can of compressed air technique to remove a ? I have seen the YouTube videos but something seems a bit too good to be true about it - should we believe all we see on the interwebs?

Has anyone actually used the can of compressed air technique to remove a ? I have seen the YouTube videos but something seems a bit too good to be true about it - should we believe all we see on the interwebs?
If we substitute "the Internet" for "the Newspaper", Mark Twain's wisdom appears timeless - though he probably exaggerated a touch for effect......

"If you don't read the Newspaper, you're uninformed.
If you read the Newspaper, you're misinformed"​

bend other side then tap with round tip hammer.

make it so your knees fit in tank.

guy on this forum did it,looks cool

thanks i hope this helps
028.jpg

016.JPG

019.JPG
pics?
Depending on the location you may be able to spoon it out thru the cap hole...use something with out a sharp edge...
But pics of the type of dent would help with diagnosis of a cure.

Youch! That dent i'm afraid wont be a simple repair since it went into that top line that creates the edge of the side and the top of the tank. About the only way to fix that will be to use a long tool and push the dent out from the inside or get a dent puller from a place like Harbor freight tools (I have never had good luck with pullers the glue that holds the puller to the metal never holds no matter how clean i get the piece!) then put a skim coat of bondo putty on it sand it smooth prime it and repaint :-(

yep...that will require some body work...........look in your area to see if there is a PDR company(paintless dent removal)...they may be able to get the dent out...but you will still need to repaint....weigh the cost of the pdr estimate against body shop repair/repaint....versus the cost of an ebay tank...or just live with it and ride it.

Back