TCI (CDI?)/Ignitor unit query

bigdog

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bike is an XS400SE 1980. A couple of years (ok four) I started to it rebuilt into a street tracker-style machine and was quite enthusiastic. I decided to simplify the wiring, especially as the harness (or loom to us in the UK) had been butchered, burned and melted in places. I was surprised the bike had actually run. Anyway the project stalled but now that Covid has forced us into an indefinite, involuntary stay-at-home period (ie. lockdown) I am about to resurrect it. Unfortunately one or two components seem to have gone adrift, including the TCI (or is it a CDI?). So my question (and I hope it's not a stupid one) is how important is the TCI, in other words is it essential for a successful and simplified harness? I've checked several wiring diagrams and as far as I can see some don't show it.
If I definitely need it, is there a modern equivalent or do I have to hunt for an original? Not so common over here.
My next question concerns starting the bike. Previously the electric start struggled to fire the thing up, especially from cold, even with a new, fully charged battery. After several swings on the kickstart it usually got going. Even Drewpy (remember him?) had problems. So will it be possible to rewire the bike with a more efficient electric start or am I condemned to a lifetime (or for as long as I keep the bike) of developing my leg muscles on the kickstart?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

It's a TCI ignition and yes you need it. A good strong battery that can hold 12.5v+ is needed to make it work correctly. And a battery with I think at least 120 cc amps for the e-start to do it's job. 12ah battery. I am not 100% on the CC amps but I am on the battery size. There are small batteries with high cranking amps but those are not cheap. There are threads in the forum on these subjects.

Forget hopping up the starter, 99% of starting issues are from the running condition of the engine itself. A good running engine will pop off with less than a couple seconds starter or under 3 kicks even stone cold.

Motorcycle myth has almost every electronic ignition as being CDI, but rarely are they. Most are simply electronic units that allow the breaker points to go away, making them simple switches like the points. Just ones that don't wear out.

X2 on the needing, you have no ignition without that module.

Thanks for both your replies, very useful. So I need to have another hunt round for that black box or start looking for a replacement.

Hi big dog, and for the electric start question, mine always starts lovely with it. I have a 9ah lead acid sealed battery.

Found it! It's taken me all afternoon and was naturally in the last box, on the top shelf, amongst dead spiders and bumble bees. If there's supposed to be a connector on the wire(s) then there isn't. When I was attempting to remove the mess of wires that had once been the harness I remember not being able to manoeuvre the TCI out. There was no connecting plug because a previous owner had separated the 7 wires inside the cable and spliced them into the main harness, where there was (and still is, because it's hanging on the wall) a sticky tangle of insulating tape. I cut the box off. But at least I've found it. Can anyone tell me if it's missing connector was a particular type? Does it have a name?
If I decide to build a new harness from scratch it's going to be a big challenge. I've been quoted £800/$1100 by a professional to make one. Tempting. But I've got two nearly-30 year old Hondas (RVF400 NC35 & CBR400 NC29) to look after and they always need something doing. Plus a Bonneville. At least the Triumph is modern and reliable (watercooled, EFI, ABS etc).

Hiya, I built a new harness from scratch, cost about £70 for all cable, connectors, crimper etc. There’s a great how to by Drewpy on this site. You will really get to understand how your bike works, and sounds like the old one has been well abused. Good luck with it

You've almost convinced me to have a go myself! Everything I've read says to get the rest of the bike sorted first and then build the harness. If it's only going to cost around £70 I may as well do it. Cheers.

Back