tearing into the front end.

briansal

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am waiting for my clip ons and fork gaitors to be shipped so I decided to prep for those and clean up the forks. they are a little bit more pitted than i like so instead of polishing them i decided to paint them black. since they were off it only seem right to remove and polish the exhaust as well. i am going to wrap the headers with a tan wrap. i am finding it hard not to tear it apart further to clean more. lol

Attachments

• iphone5 mar05 162.jpg
    iphone5 mar05 162.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 382
  • iphone5 mar05 182.jpg
    iphone5 mar05 182.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 382
  • iphone5 mar05 179.jpg
    iphone5 mar05 179.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 407
  • iphone5 mar05 174.jpg
    iphone5 mar05 174.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 429
  • iphone5 mar05 172.jpg
    iphone5 mar05 172.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 419
  • iphone5 mar05 166.jpg
    iphone5 mar05 166.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 402
I am using VHT roll bar and chassis paint. after a few light coats it is looking good. Going to let it dry for a few hours light sand them and a couple more coats.

Attachments

• IMG_1256[1].jpg
    IMG_1256[1].jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1265[1].jpg
    IMG_1265[1].jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 391
What paint did you use on your mufflers?

I used VHT high heat header paint. First I took a fine wire wheel to them. Then a 400 grit sand paper. A high heat self etching primer then about 5 coats of the black. It is supposed to bake on and harden when heat is applied.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 352
Very nice. I know with pj1 header paint you need to "cook" it slow running the bike for a minute or so then let it cool and start again or the paint will bubble off. Even more so with more than 2 coats on it.

i like to work. looks good. i like how your jacking, well lifting your bike off the ground.
so how did the paint work on your exhuast? Is there a bake cycle?

looks good!, wrapping from the mufflers towards the header end will keep any of the edges from snagging the wind, wouldnt want to hurt your 1/4mi times :bike: ( or what ever you use in up there in the north )

Thanks guys. Yes there is a bake cycle I haven't done yet. I have to put the wheel back on so I can start it. Don't know if I trust my "jack" to get on there and kick it over. I also thought that the wraps looked upside down leaving the exposed edge on the top. But that's the way the instructions said to do it header to muffler. But I don't see what the advantage to having them this way is.

We still use the 1/4 mile track. We just record it in KPH lol. But my bike has the MPH gauges. So I never really know how fast I'm going. Only rough estimated calculations in my head.

Thanks guys. Yes there is a bake cycle I haven't done yet. I have to put the wheel back on so I can start it. Don't know if I trust my "jack" to get on there and kick it over. I also thought that the wraps looked upside down leaving the exposed edge on the top. But that's the way the instructions said to do it header to muffler. But I don't see what the advantage to having them this way is.

maybe i have it backwards i dont think it would really matter, looks bad ass tho!:thumbsup:

did you use any SS wire ties? and it probably does not matter header to muffler, except that its easier to start at the header and wrap to the muffler to get the correct length. oh yeah and did you sand the forks before you painted them?
and does your electric starter work?

did you use any SS wire ties? and it probably does not matter header to muffler, except that its easier to start at the header and wrap to the muffler to get the correct length. oh yeah and did you sand the forks before you painted them?
and does your electric starter work?

I used the wire ties provided with the kit. I did sand the forks I used a med grit sanding sponge. The paint is roll bar and chassis paint. It has a rubberized texture to it. No electric start on this bike. Kick only.

Back