Tell-On-Yourself Thread

When doing my valves last week I realized two things : one, my. 005 inch feeler gauge is thin as a soda can, two, I've had my intake valves loose for three years! I know loose valves are happy valves, but damn. 3 years!

Well heres my latest screw up.Since I drained the oil out of my bike,while the crankcase was empty I was going to readjust my valves as I think they are bit too loose and making more noise than usual.So what do I do I forget that I was going to do this and filled the crank case with the new oil.:banghead::doh:

I swear to God, all these years, I thought it was Arlo Guthrie who sang Everybody's Talking from the movie Midnight Cowboy.
This would be a good "LOUNGE" thread to accompany "xschris's guitars".
Every time I hear "Walk of Life" by Dire Staits I am sure that it's Bruce Springsteen! lol

For some strange reason neutral wasn't where it was supposed to be.:doh:

[

Sorry for huge pic - I posted this from my mobile.

Last edited:
You probably need to do what I had to do when my mufflers were in the way of rear brake lever,I had to weld on a smaller sleave then the muffler.The sleave was smaller diameter which gave me the clearance I needed.

While taking my bike for a casual ride yesterday and enjoying the unusual 65 degree weather, I passed a few little kids selling hot chocolate on a country road. They were pleased when I made a u turn to come back for a cup. We chatted a bit and we all had a good laugh when I accidentally sloshed the cup up against my still down 3/4 helmet face shield. In case it is not obvious, I have only just learned to ride a short time ago ...LOL

While taking my bike for a casual ride yesterday and enjoying the unusual 65 degree weather, I passed a few little kids selling hot chocolate on a country road. They were pleased when I made a u turn to come back for a cup. We chatted a bit and we all had a good laugh when I accidentally sloshed the cup up against my still down 3/4 helmet face shield. In case it is not obvious, I have only just learned to ride a short time ago ...LOL

Classic. :laugh: I wish I could of seen that.

Posted via Mobile

Was cleaning out my fuel tank to prep it for the rust remover. The last little bit of fuel wouldn't come out by just holding the tank upside down, so I figured I could suck it out with a piece of hose, like a straw. It worked quite well, I just had to be careful not to suck too hard otherwise I'd get a mouth full of fuel - this didn't happen luckily. What I did do, however, is that I actually inhaled a full breath of the fumes from inside the gas tank and nearly killed myself, coughed for a good 15 minutes after that, probably lost a year of my life as well

must have looked like a real idiot doing that :laugh:

I bought myself a new wiring harness, since my old one was completely mangled. In getting everything out of the headlight, I realized that the headlight housing was trashed too and I was keeping any of it, so I just cut the remaining stubborn wires on the harness to be done with it. In any case, a few of them were the ignition switch, and MikesXS will be getting another $35 of my money next week.

So big hot shot, knows everything about wiring, with a short term memory. I put my 2 wires on the wrong items, I put the neutral wire on the oil pressure sending unit, and vis-versa.

Then if that wasn't bad enough, the sprocket cover didn't want to fit on right, so like any man, I forced it. I found out I had the blue wire was caught and stripped in that area. so it was permanently grounded out. Oops. Rescue tape to the rescue. (self sealing silicone tape) I can not say enough good things about that tape. Well worth the 5 bucks a roll. (10'x1")

Spent half an hour yesterday searching my house for my key. Found it sitting in the ignition from the night before. I seem to have a bad habit of hitting the kill switch, turning off the ignition, telling myself not to forget the key, getting off the bike and walking away with the key still in the bike. Lucky for me that nobody in the neighbourhood knows how to work a motorcycle, or It'd be a short riding season for me.

Here's a twofer: my front brake is leaking, so I ordered a new brake piston from XS650Direct.com. It is, of course, an XS650 piston and no use to me at all. So I pull the caliper apart, realize I have the wrong part once I'm looking at the 400's much larger piston, sigh deeply, and begin putting the caliper back together. Get to the point of putting the brake line back on, pull out the torque wrench just to be sure, set it to the specc'd 18.8 lb/ft, and begin cranking. What I failed to realize is that the wrench wasn't calibrated properly, so I'm ever so gently torquing the bolt down, and down, and down, and--spock. Split the head right off. There was, fortunately, enough of a lip of twisted banjo bolt to get a pair of pliers on it and back the shank out, but blughhhh.

My wife asked me to fix her bosses honda ruckus moped since he hasnt been able to start it in over two years. Full of confidence i said sure, i fixed my motorcycle surely i can fix a moped. Drained all the old fuel, charged the battery and cleaned the carbs....go to fire it up and nothing. It had power, but no spark.... so i contiued to take the one and only carb on and off several times with no success. Finally after a week of tearing it apart and rebuilding the carbs i was ready to throw the towel in. Then a little light bulb went off in my head, i remebered that those little mopeds have an ecu for the timing and throttle position, reset the ecu in about 10 seconds and hit te starter and what do you know it fired up and ran perfectly.....at least the carbs are squeeky clean haha

Back