Tell-On-Yourself Thread

... I found the key switch in the off position? Turned it back, started back up and drove home.
Sounds like you PO installed a replacement ignition switch from Gerneral Motors.
Luckily no computers, power steerig/brakes to shut down on an xs400.

No chance the ignition vibrated itself to the offposition? My switch is pretty loose and sometimes I'll have to nudge the key back to the right when I roll to a corner and find myself without signal lights.

It's possible, and the only explanation I can come up with, unless there is a rev limiter that I was unaware of.

Waiting on some parts for the bike, so I decided to wrench on my snow machine. I had bought a new suspension and track earlier in the summer, today seemed like a good day to get at it.

Took everything apart and while removing the gears I had to snap a cotter pin to remove it. I made a mental note to get a new one before assembling everything. After putting everything back together and cleaning up I find the broken pin, reminding me I forgot to put in a new one. Crap. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

Have you ever noticed? that there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it tomorrow :) ;)

Have you ever noticed? that there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it tomorrow :) ;)

I would have done it last night, but ran out of daylight. My back is killing me this morning from being hunched over the sled all day, lifting it several times. I need a lift, or a hoist.

My first day of taking my bike to work, I only put a gallon or so of fuel into it. On the way to work, I realized, I didn't have the fuel selector to ON, so I did. Then almost immediately it started to chock, and cough, so I went to reserve. Made it to work, went to an appt right after work, (less than a mile distance) Knowing I need gas, I made a bee-line to the 2nd furthest gas station. Oops, I had to walk it 2.5 blocks to get it to the station. Then later on, I was following a Horse transporter, with the business end sticking out of the back end of the trailer. Yea, He dumped a load onto the road right in front of me. I missed it, I just hope others are as lucky. it was a 3 lane hiway, where it comes into a 2 lane highway. (locals out there NB 494 getting close to 94) ((Woodbury MN)

... would require cutting a hole in the ceiling... Might do it yet.
Hold off on trying to make another "tell on yourself" entry!
It might be cheaper in the long run to build something like one of these which could fit inside and under the confines of finished garage surfaces. If you assembled it with nuts, bolts and washers, you could even disassemble and store it away in the attic in between uses.

Attachments

• Wooden Gantry, hoist.jpg
    Wooden Gantry, hoist.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Wooden Gantry, wheeled.jpg
    Wooden Gantry, wheeled.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 398
Today, my old automotive teacher checked out my bike. He noticed all the bolts I've taken off from one place to put in more important places. For instance, my fuse block that's free-floating. He noticed 9. I know there are more...
:laugh:

Hold off on trying to make another "tell on yourself" entry!
It might be cheaper in the long run to build something like one of these which could fit inside and under the confines of finished garage surfaces. If you assembled it with nuts, bolts and washers, you could even disassemble and store it away in the attic in between uses.

Hmmmm, I like that! The hole in the ceiling would be cheaper, but this I could do outside. Need to think about this.

Instead of a hole in the ceiling, you could use s stud finder to find the rafters and use some 1/2" eye bolts. I would use two in each rafter, run a piece of chain between them and hang the hoist from that. You could get that whole set up for probably $30 bucks, you could take it back down when your done, and nobody would question a few wyw bolts in a garage ceiling, it would still look good.

You couldn't even get treated lumber less than that I don't think and you would still need to buy a hoist.

R-W89 is right of course, very practical and undoubtedly cheaper.

However, it isn't always about the budget. Sometimes it's about building a giant contraption which you can theb show off (even when it's not in use) :wink2: .

This was the ONE thread that I didn't expect you would have anything to offer, Drewpy. My illusions are shattered. :wtf:
I was reading these and thinking, crap - I've done ALL this stuff!

I felt the dumbest early this summer when a nice older gent with a beautiful Yamaha V-Star was admiring my centre stand and telling me how much he wished the new big bikes had them. I expressed surprise and began telling him how 2 of us could barely pull the damn thing up onto the stupid stand while I held it from slipping with my left foot. :cussing:
He proceeded to walk over (asked permission) then showed me how one old guy can put it on the stand with one foot and one hand. Turns out you push DOWN on the thing and lift up! Who knew? :doh:
I know this is an old post, but my bike is new to me, so I gotta say thanks for teaching me how to operate the center stand. :)

Back