The Chicken or the egg????

Jones

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatup my fellow XSers,

So ive made it to a critical point where I need advice... I recently got my invoice for my jig and plan to get it as a Christmas gift. Upon searching the net I seen eastwood was selling their mig 135 for $300 plus free shipping. So What come first? The Jig or the welder? They are going to run me about the same amount of cash. And I plan on getting both within a month or so of each other. What would you guys recommend me getting first? why? Fast replies appreciated, don't wanna keep Travis waiting, even though I know he hasn't given my invoice a second thought. lol

Thanks

Also, If any one wants the hardtail I have on my bike now, let me know. Ill cut it in nice reweldable places. and give you a good deal.

Attachments

• 20131203_211954_resized.jpg
    20131203_211954_resized.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 20131012_174656-1.jpg
    20131012_174656-1.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 350
that's what I was thinking. It will also be my first time welding. I catch on to things very quickly when it comes to working with my hands though, so i'm not too worried about that part.

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in for good measure. all depending on what your exact plan for welding is. if you plan on doing sheetmetal and minor fabbing on your frame then buy the welder you mentioned. if you plan on doing some major mods on the frame such as structural ect. I would buy a stick welder. you get get a stick welder for next to nothing and would be able to weld a lot thicker stuff with a 7018 rod.

True. But im most def getting the jig pieces from trav. I dont have the tools or metal supply to make a DECENT jig. Idk why every builder doesnt hav3 onw of his jigs. Especially at that price.

I used to make temporary jigs from different frames I would work on. it is not impossible but time consuming. in my humble opinion, it is hard to have a universal jig that would allow you to do much more than just weld the general "main" part of the frame. I make a lot of chops and still find that I have to make temporary stuff all the time to be able to weld different parts of different frames......just food for thought.

Thanks lou, I can understand that. But I live in milwaukee and I don't have the slightest clue of where to get steel except up north or online. Thats limits me. The only part of the jig I was really worried about making was the neck holder. Id rather get a good one for a decent price. Especially since im not paying for it(x-mas gift.) I wouldnt mind making parts as needed. Pops up with any project. Plus the cost of steel and time to make the parts sold me on travis' kit. Appreciate the food for thought, keep feeding me people!

:cheers:

Ive been doing reading on mostly mig. The thing that turned me away from stick was when I read its alot slower and alot messier. Ill do a little more research on it now. Thanks

I would personal just get a mig,if you get a stick eventualy your going want something better.Then your stuck with 2 welders.A stick is easy to learn on I`d admit that but your limited to welding on heavy steel and nothing else.Id even take some welding classes just to help you learn how to weld with it.I have dabbled with both while the mig was more difficult to learn with mig welding all the way you have more options with what you can weld with it.

Back