The Finnish Tracker (bike bought - project starts)

Ta-2

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, and greetings from Finland.
I've been reading this forum for couple of weeks and now is the perfect time to post something.

My brother and I just bought XS400 (2A2) for a project bike. Seller said that it's from 1982, but according the VIN it´s from 1981. Also the black color scheme is from that year. The bike has been out of use for years although it seems to be complete.
We paid about 1000$ for it which is reasonable price comparing to bike's condition and general price level of Finland.

At the moment the bike is not at running condition but my brother is working on that. Should be easy fix but you never know. I am not that into technical things so my job is to focus more on visual outcome of the becoming tracker or scrambler.

Let's see how this will end. :)

And the most important:
2cfe5cba-c4d0-4aa8-ae17-629801d6dc41_zpsbfc50dc0.jpg

Last edited:
Yamaha is alive! :D There was a lot of gasoline mixed with engine oil, let's hope it's not something serious. Carburetors will definitely need some fine tuning but the engine runs surprisingly well. Also fixed the seized front brake and changed brake fluids. Next job will be valve adjustment and front fork maintenance.

Last edited:
Little update: at the moment the left cylinder isn't firing. Should have cleaned those carbs more carefully :D - there was a lot of dirt in main and pilot jets.

I had to do valve adjustment twice (got louder after first time). Fortunately this is a rather easy bike to fix.

Last edited:
After ~20 hours of fixing and repairing the bike it is finally running without bigger problems. Have to ride as much as possible because winter is coming too fast here in Finland.

Back