The new project runs, but need help to ID strange sounds

jackmctavish

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I've just joined the forum after picking up a new project, an 1980 XS400 Special, and this is my first post.

The bike is a literal barn find and by the looks of it has likely seen a decade of Canadian winters sitting outside, but seems in pretty good shape despite that, and has decently low mileage. I'm pretty confident that with the knowledge I've seen throughout this forum, I can get it back on the road pretty quickly. I've done some rudimentary work and managed to get the bike going but because this is the first XS I have seen, I have no reference point for how these bikes should sound or behave and I've noticed a couple things:

1. When the bike is idling, I can hear a grinding sound. I'm guessing it's the timing chain or the valves, but I thought i'd run it by you guys. Can anyone tell if the bike sounds normal, or is there something not quite right that I should be addressing before I go any further?

2. I've rigged up a temporary battery to start the bike until I get some time off to get a new one, and it therefore doesn't have a full charge — at least not enough to use the electric starter. When I kickstart the bike and it doesn't fire, it wheezes. What is that? Is it the starter because it's not getting enough juice?

I've linked to two videos I hope will have good enough sound.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Sounds like valves in the first one.
Second one sounds like the starter gear/clutch. Sometimes my starter clutch is stubborn on letting go quickly and makes that same noise. Never have heard it do that when kicking though, only e-start.

Thanks for the replies.

I had changed the oil and topped it up after looking at the filter, but it only has a little over 2 litres in it even though the oil stick reads full. I understand if you pull the filter it should take more than 2000ccs so that could be it. I'll try to add a bit more and see if it helps. I'll check the valves. Seems likely off on a bike like this, i just hope it's not too severe.

As for the wheezing sound, anything to watch out for when inspecting the starter clutch?

Thanks again.

Back