The start of a very long road

Berniesxs

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just getting started on this project. It's a 79 400, crashed same year. It's been sitting in shed since. Ever so slightly seized☹️. Don't say I'm mad cos mad is good. Tell me what ye think.

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_222755_1.jpg
    IMG_20210316_222755_1.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 307
The money and time it will take to fix it would get you three good running ones. If you do, keep track of your journey with a build thread in the garage section. Finding good parts alone might stop all progress.

Just getting started on this project. It's a 79 400, crashed same year. It's been sitting in shed since. Ever so slightly seized☹️. Don't say I'm mad cos mad is good. Tell me what ye think.
The money and time it will take to fix it would get you three good running ones. If you do, keep track of your journey with a build thread in the garage section. Finding good parts alone might stop all progress.
Thanks Chris. It's more of a sentimental job than anything else as it was my brother's bike. Am on the lookout for a donor bike. Have put out feelers with people but there's not many about. The ones that are about have allready been restored and too good to break up. Want to keep as much original as possible. Will post pics as I'm going but it's not going to be a quick job.

The year down so far. Slow going, having to use heat to get bolts out. Hoping to get engine out later today. I'm sure that'll be loads of fun☹️.

Attachments

• IMG_20210317_214740.jpg
    IMG_20210317_214740.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 304
Just a couple photos to show progress. Frame is almost completely stripped. After a lot of effort, pistons moved for the first time in over 40 years. Tank is gone off for repair. Making progress slowly.

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_131733_2.jpg
    IMG_20210328_131733_2.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 252
Hi all. A couple of questions. Will 78/79 cylinders and head bolt on to an 1980 crank. Also are there any other differences for the drum to disc brakes other than wheel, swing arm and master/slave cylinders. I may have found a donor bike for my rebuild but it's a 1980. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-235750.png
    Screenshot_20210428-235750.png
    897.7 KB · Views: 264
Buy the whole donor bike. Failing that, all the parts should fit fine. Have you attempted to remove the swingarm from your bike yet? The condition in the photos suggest it's (probably) stuck on the pivot bolt. Carry on with the windmill jousting (like I'm one to talk).

Buy the whole donor bike. Failing that, all the parts should fit fine. Have you attempted to remove the swingarm from your bike yet? The condition in the photos suggest it's (probably) stuck on the pivot bolt. Carry on with the windmill jousting (like I'm one to talk).
Hi Moto and thanks for the reply. The swingarm is still on the frame but it moves. It's tight but def not stuck. Just wanted to check that I can convert to rear disc as I want to get it as it was when my brother bought it.

Swapped out the original carbs for the ones off my bike. Not bad after a quick clean and sitting in a shed for 41 years.......

As I said, vid won't upload but it's running sweet. Just wanted to eliminate the carbs before I run into issue on the rebuild. At least now I know the carbs are fine.

Always said it was better to be born lucky rather than good. Having said that, I do remember after my brother bought the bike, he checked on it every weekend. Also it only has about 1.5 to 2k miles on it.

A photo of the transplant donor before surgery. It won't look as good again by the time I'm finished.

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_214724_2.jpg
    IMG_20210505_214724_2.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 244
Just putting it out there. I have a rear mag wheel with drum brakes. Would anyone be interested in swapping for one with disc brake. Have swingarm and all that goes with it. Good tyre included. Will post photos when I get home.

Back