Thoughts on drilled mufflers

buschkj24

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to get your take on drilled mufflers on the DOHC engine. It looks like the PO drilled eight 3/8" holes (in a circle around the main exhaust outlet) in the back plate of the mufflers. Looking at the holes they do not go as deep as the baffles. I like the sound he bike has with it but I wanted to get your take and thoughts on it.

Here is what it sounds like.

My Seca has eight holes in the back plates as well. I used to think it was a PO who drilled them out, but I have seen more DOHC exhausts with the same holes although I cannot find any back on youtube videos or pictures on the web right now.

Anyways, your maxim sounds perfectly normal I think. Idles nicely, I didn't hear anything that would cause concern.

If your plugs look good (perhaps post a pic, or read them yourself) you don't have to worry about the exhaust. Especially if you like the sound it has.

Finally had some time to snap a photo of my plugs. I don't know how to read plugs but these look like normal wear to me. What are your thoughts.

Your plugs look like they were changed recently. The colouring appears near perfect to me.

On another topic - can you post pics of your faring? From the brief glimpse of it in your vid, it looks similar to the Shoei FM-2 I picked up recently.

Thanks,
Dave

Yea the plugs are brand new (probably 250 miles on them). The seems to be running nice and strong but I was curious.

I have no idea on what the fairing is called, it came with the bike. It was a flat black when I took ownership and didn't like it so I painted it a gloss black to match the bike.

Thanks for the pics! I like the look of that faring. It is similar to the one I have, just a bit smaller. It also looks like it may have originally had a cover over the headlight, which would make it even cooler in a retro-styled fashion. :thumbsup:

Back