thoughts on fixing this leak?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to work on this leak before the snow melts. In the picture attached, it is leaking mostly from the quarter sized hole under my 82 Maxim. Not sure where to start. Has anyone had this same leak and repaired it? Thanks

Attachments

• maxim leak.jpg
    maxim leak.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 479
Okay, I will start the guessing, (your bike is new than mine) is that the side of the Drive sprocket? if so my first guess is the clutch seal!

Thanks. I'll take the left crankcase cover off, clean it up and see if that shows the leak source better.

Last edited:
I have also been playing that game, my last leak I remember fixing was the oil filter case.the gasket, wasn't making a good seal. Then the next one ... Good luck JSO!

Finally got the crank case or sprocket cover off. Some of those dam JAL screws seemed like they were welded in. So I cleaned it up and go to start it (because it mostly leaks right after I shut it off) and nothing..

It acts like when you try and start it with the kickstand down. I suspect because the clutch cable is disconnected or perhaps something to do with the sprocket cover being off - is preventing the ignition from starting. I know it's in neutral and the battery is new - any suggestions?

Mr Arfstrom wins! At least I think the thing pictured is the clutch seal. After reconnecting the ignition fuse wire (yes I'm an idiot, LOL) it started right up, the rod in the center of the clutch seal shot out followed by an oil spout that the Beverly Hillbillies would envy...

OK.. I think I've (you've) identified the problem. Now gotta research the solution..
Thanks for the brilliant diagnosis! JSO

Attachments

• clutch seal.jpg
    clutch seal.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 384
  • fuse box.jpg
    fuse box.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 420
The clutch push rod shot out because there was pressure inside the crankcase. That is a separate issue from the leak. Mine tries to do the same thing (but I know to hold it so it doesn't), yet the seal doesn't leak. The big question you have to answer is "Is that where your leak is from?" Is the seal loose on the push rod? Is it visibly damaged? Is the push rod smooth where the seal runs?

Yup, like Dave said, your photo does show some chain chewing going on there, if that chewed up rod, is in the seal zone, it will leak.
Tobie

The seal on the rod is very loose and drips a lot after starting it up again. Thanks for the tip about holding it in.

I guess the next question is do I replace the push rod too? Its not exactly perfectly smooth. My crappy cell phone picture may give you some idea. I guess the loose seal allowed the rod to wobble and hit the chain?

Attachments

• push rod.jpg
    push rod.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 397
Never mind.... I don't think a replacement push rod is available. (and probably not needed) I've ordered the replacement seal and will mark on the push rod where the seal goes and try and polish out any rough areas. Then see if there are any you tube videos on how to replace it...LOL

Thanks!

That was going to be my advice, except alot less.
your pitting is outside the seal zone, it should be fine, see if you can check the straight/plum of the shaft by rolling on a glass cookie board/cutting board. (should not wobble)

Last food for thought, one other member had thier rod split into two parts, Last summer sometime. might not be a bad idea to keep an eye open for one, just in case.
Tobie

Got the seal and was surprised how easy it was to replace.
No more oil puddles!

Next task is to change the fork seals. Then replace my old tires. Then try to spend more time riding than working on it....

Thanks for the help!

Back