Tips on Mono-shock Bobber

Mana1ze

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey All...
about to start chopping and hacking my 83 XS4 400...
going to Leave the Mono-Shock IN.... any tips on cuts and welds to make this happen better?? :banghead::bike:

Have you read other threads on here where the mono-shock frames have been chopped?
I know BentWrench did a very thorough documentation of all the changes he made. I know it will depend on whether your concept jibes with the other, but if the basic structural considerations happened to be the same, you could follow the blueprint and maybe avoid any unforeseen problems.

going to have a look for it right now... thanks very much...
i'm getting excited.... this is my first Solo build...:bike:
Best of luck. I am excited today because the temperature is up, the clouds are gone, the sun is out and the gale force winds have subsided. I have no repairs or mods to do - just go for a long ride.
Do you have another - what will you ride while beautiful, baby-blue is being worked on?

My biggest tip - make sure you don't remove something you'll need later. I'm still trying to figure out how to remount my rear brake switch...

Everything behind the triangle at the seat can be cut off. Just keep the triangle under the seat - that's what spreads any downward force across the frame.

Also, if you know how to weld, you can always cut out the rear vertical (that meets under the back of the seat with the horizontal bars), try it out, and the re-weld a brace if required.

How bobbed are you looking to go?

Thanks very much for the input... I truly appreciate your advice....
I am thinking as Old school Bobbed as I can, and still keep the Mono Shock...
I have made a little progress since my last post, but not much, as you say, with two kids.... time is hard to find.... BUT my boys are both in school now, so that does free me up a little bit......

there is a good chance that I will take a full day, and just Go At It........ make as much progress as I can at once...

I will keep everyone informed , with as many pics as I can....

posted a new picture of what the final outcome COULD be... this is a mock shifter that will be replaced with a Twisted steel one, and also include a suicide clutch... bike is super comfortable to ride already... :)

Back