Tomato sauce recipe

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all thought I might share my favourite tomato sauce recipe :bike:
This is oz style so not quite the same as ketchup. But Im sure anyone here who like to bbq meat will appreciate this recipe. Really give it a go you wont regret it im sure.

Tomato Sauce Recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
4klg tomatoes cut into quarters
1kg sugar (I use 700grams or so of brown cooking sugar)
2 tablespoons salt
1 or 2 teaspoons of black pepper
750mls white vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
2 grams of whole cloves wrapped in cloth
1 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper powder (I use fresh habaneros and ramp it up a bit so it has a nice tingle)
2 tablespoons garlic
4 medium-large apples cut into quarters
1 large onion sliced

METHOD:
Throw everything into large pot, bring to boil then lower to a medium simmer with the lid off
Stir reasonably frequently so it doesn't stick to the bottom and burn (important)
After about two hours of medium-low simmer with lid off, puree well with a stick blender or you could ladle it into a food processor in batches. Stick blender is just easier, either way just puree it well.

Remove cloves before you puree and put them back in after your finished

Continue to simmer the mix with lid off until you reach your desired thickness
Once desired consistency has been reached, remove cloves and bottle the sauce and seal immediately with a tight lid, bottle while the sauce is still hot
Total cooking time takes 3-4 hours

TIPS:
Remember the cloves need to come back out so make sure you have them in cloth, or you can put them in a steel wire mesh strainer or tea strainer and sit them in the top of the mix
If bottled correctly, this will last for at least a year in the cupboard unopened
To sterilise bottles, make sure they are squeaky clean. A dishwasher will sterilise them. If handwashing, place in cool water and bring to the boil. When the water boils, the bottles are sterilised

CONGRATULATIONS YOU JUST MADE THE BEST TOMATO SAUCE YOU WILL EVER TASTE!!!! :D
(but unfortunately now you will not be able to stomach that shit from the supermarket anymore)

When I think of tomato sauce I think spaghetti sauce. This is more like ketchup? Would you put this on a burger and dip your fries in it?

With all that vinager it may well remove rust drewpy :laugh:

Yeah this is more like ketchup Travis, we call ketchup tomato sauce over here. So its great on sausages or bbq meat etc. Great on hot chips if you like dipping chips in ketchup. And awsome on a hamburger!!

I just made a batch the other day. You could probably wick back the sugar a bit, it wasn't too sweet or anything but could have been reduced by about 150 grams or so. And maybe a tad more whole cloves in the mix, maybe 3-4 grams, but I like the cloves in this.

You could just make a batch following this recipe to start with then tweak it to your own taste.

Back