Top bolt on the steering stem?

FragFuel

80' Hardtail
Reaction score
While looking down my steering tree i noticed i could see right though it to the concrete. I figure something important was missing so i Google it. Its a bolt at the top of the stem, and i dont know any sizes or anything. i couldn't find jack, besides bolts that came with complete kits.

Q: Does anyone know the specs on that bolt on the very top of the steering stem?
1980 XS400
So i can special order it, thanks guys!

I would not ride the bike without a steering stem crown bolt.

The only thing holding your entire front end on is the nut used to tighten the bearings (16 ft/lbs!) and the fork pinch bolts. I'm glad you didn't die.

Bike bandit would have the parts diagram. Check ebay, bike bandit ($9 for my '78), another oem parts place, or on here for a replacement.

I have a 78 xs400 and this is the bolt size. M14 * 1.25 * 20mm long. You will need a large dia. head on it or a large washer. Shouldn't cost more then a couple bucks for a high grade bolt from a supply store but it won't likely be chrome like the original.

Shaun

I would not ride the bike without a steering stem crown bolt.

The only thing holding your entire front end on is the nut used to tighten the bearings (16 ft/lbs!) and the fork pinch bolts. I'm glad you didn't die.

Bike bandit would have the parts diagram. Check ebay, bike bandit ($9 for my '78), another oem parts place, or on here for a replacement.
The man that sold me it must have been insane riding without it,
thanks for the info!

Would you guys happen to know the part number, im having difficulty finding it without it

Back