Torque spec on main drive?

sandmanred

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
In the process of removing the main sprocket to get to the collar and oil seal I found zero torque on the nut, after the bent washer was flattened I remove the nut with my fingers. That just doesn't seem right.

Of the course the collar is 6 weeks so I sanded out the rough spots with 600 followed by 2000 grit. It's smooth now and almost perfectly flat too.

It seems like there should be some torque on that nut that holds the sprocket on. Looking for it in the on-line manuals I find this on page 18 in chapter one. 31 lb-ft seems about right and it's the only thing I can find that makes sense. Is this correct?

upload_2019-5-8_15-9-17.png

Last edited:
The Haynes doesnt specify any specs in the assembly procedure other than to have the relief side nut in, snug it before bending the tab.

Front sprocket is 43-47lbs. I found torque spec somewhere a long time ago but can't remember. I have been using this torque number for years without issues.

Last edited:
Thanks.

FWIW zero torque provides a small steady flow of engine oil to the chain through the collar and on to the inner face of the sprocket. I have to wonder how long it had been that way? The collar was scarred so the seal did need replacing. Waiting on new chain and sprockets for final assembly.

Back