Trying to remove points cover...

kevingkruse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to remove my points cover and I remove the left screw holding it on but as for what's holding it on the right side, its just a flat screw, if it even is a screw, its not phillips, flathead or allen, just flat. Is that normal? If so, how do I get it out? I'm wondering if a PO put it there and if I should just try and use an extractor on it, but I just want to know what you think?

I am willing to bet you have an electronic ignition model. What year is it? The points models just have regular screws, but the electronic ignition models have a tamper proof cap. It can be removed, but there is no point. I do not believe there is anything to adjust.

Well you are absolutely right, I wanted to see if I had points and I do not... I managed to get that stupid brass plug out, with much force... first I tried drilling it and putting threads in it to put a bolt in and yanked the heck out of it, but did not budge. So I just bent the screw by prying the cover off with a screw driver and it broke off, I got one half out of the engine side with an extractor, and drilled the crap out of the plug on the cover and hammered the other end of the broken screw until it popped out. I guess I wasted my time on that one... but thanks bcware. I have a 1980 xs400 special.

You can advance or retard your timing by rotating the pickup coil just like you can on the points models. I have done this myself.

Back