Turn Signal quagmire...

HerbHartline

HHartline
Reaction score
Building a 1980 XS400G from the ground up, purchased out of a junkyard..I am working on the electrical, I have replaced the turn signals with LEDs. I have installed the resistors necessary for such a changeover in the wiring system. The control switches were beyond repair so I had to purchase a new set from overseas...I have connected everything as stated in the wiring diagram. Everything lights up,but, I cannot get the T/S to flash...it has a electronic flasher on it right now, but I am not sure it is correct. I cannot seem to get power through it. Ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 331
Which model of flasher do you have?
Is the flasher auto-canceller still installed?
If it's a 3-pin flasher it likely won't work with the stock wiring harness as-is.
It won't work with the auto-canceller.

The resistors may not be necessary with an aftermarket flasher relay. It'd be better to get an LED compatible relay and ditch the resistors; they're a waste of power.

All good questions...I do not know the model of the flasher, but it is an electronic, and is 3-prong. If the auto canceller is the unit at the front of the engine, under the tank mounted on the frame, then it is still installed....The flasher plug on the harness is a 3- prong, so whoever had it could have assumed that is what it needed. I will seek out a 2 prong flasher and try it out. Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated.

Which model of flasher do you have?
Is the flasher auto-canceller still installed?
If it's a 3-pin flasher it likely won't work with the stock wiring harness as-is.

Having a similar issue.

After some digging, thinking it might be the non led dash indicator (led on order) coupled with led signals messing with the system.

If the stock flasher is a 3 prong, would we need a electronic 3 prong as well? I purchased an electronic flasher (adjustable) but it only has two prongs.

Back